Looking for a quality zoom lens.

acparsons

Photo Hunter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking a zoom lens between 24 and 120mm that is quality, will take nice sharp photos, an is good in low light. similar to my 80-200. Can't afford the How would you rate the 24-120 F4 or 24-85 3.5-4.5? The 24-70 2.8 is over my budget, which is 500-600. Other suggestions are welcome.

None of the suggestions you put forward, or that can be offered, I suspect will tick all your boxes. If you want good low light performance, you've got to be looking at the f/2.8 and wider aperture lenses. Perhaps even primes like 35mm, 50mm and 85mm, if you don't already own them. Zoom lenses that do offer those wide apertures and are within your budget like the old Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM from 2008, are pretty lacklustre wide open and at the longer end of the range. It's definitely going to be a trade off somewhere along the line, either in terms of max aperture, vibration reduction or image quality.

Out of the the two you mention and the Sigma I mentioned, the Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 VR is the better choice in terms of IQ and the inclusion of VR for low light hand holding of the camera. Another option for a lens you might want to entertain is the old 35-70mm f/2.8 AF-D. Built like a tank and with decent image quality, it certainly would perform well in low light and delivers sharp images. The trade off is no VR and not as wide or long as the other options. These can be picked up for a lot under you budget.

I'd recommend the Tamron SP 24-70 VC to couple with your D610. A used one might push your budget but it's a stellar lens.

I'd recommend the Tamron SP 24-70 VC to couple with your D610. A used one might push your budget but it's a stellar lens.
Oh yes, a used Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC might be in your price range and its a fantastic lens!

Cheaper but almost as sharp is Nikon 24-85mm 3.5-4.5 VR
This is a lens I used extensively till I got my Nikon 24-70mm
Fantastic lens, used goes for around 300$-350$, only issue is that its not as fast as the 24-70mm 2.8 lenses

Yeah, On FM im seeing them in the 700's when people want to sell fast.

IF you can't find a Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 in budget, the older Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 is another great option.

ahhh. it was still available last night.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I picked up a Nikon 28-70 today.
I was actually just going to recommend that 28-70 lens since you have the 80-200. Except it's a heavy tank is the only negative. And the AF-S motor supposedly goes (per online reading) from time to time but can be easily fixed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back