looking for a ring flash

keystervr6

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so i got a D40 back in July, and will be adding a SB900 soon, but I am wondering if I need to look at investing in a ring flash, or perhaps make one. I will mostly be doing automotive photography, with the ocational portraits and macro....

what is available for the D40, and what are your thoughts about what I should be looking to get/do...

TIA

Ring flashes do have some application in portraiture, little in automotive and lots in macro work, however good ones are pricey. The full-on Nikon system weighs in about $800+, and the Sigma about $450. There are some cheaper non-dedicated units you can get, and you can make your own, but I would spend some time becoming more familiar with the type(s) of work you intend to do before I looked at a major investment like that.

so i got a D40 back in July, and will be adding a SB900 soon, but I am wondering if I need to look at investing in a ring flash, or perhaps make one. I will mostly be doing automotive photography, with the ocational portraits and macro....

what is available for the D40, and what are your thoughts about what I should be looking to get/do...

TIA

Try this. Easy and cheap. If it doesn't work for you, you can invest more.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133076

Ian

I bought a Sunpak ring flash which mounts on the lens. Difficulty is that I needed to step down from the filter size it was suitable for it still wasn't very big. I'm not confident it would work very well with my 77mm filter size lens (maybe - not tried it yet). So my advice is work out what lens you want to use it with. The other thing is - because it is a manual flash - the flash isn't fast enough work with rast shutter speeds and is quite bright even when turned down. It works nicely when used properly but it's a very difficult skill to master.

i think i'll try my hand at making my own ring flash, seems to be an inexpensive alternative... plus i wont use it all that frequently so doesn't have to look so prety

Macro- yes, the rest- not so much. For the rest try using your flash on a stand (yes in manual- it's not hard you just move the flash to fine tune exposures) and shooting through a diffuser on a frame. Think big soft box. Be sure to get or make a flag to shield your lens.

A flag is just a black or dark cloth that hangs (or on a frame if you like) between your light source and your lens to block the light. Like a lens hood only much better. You won't like your shots looking washed out or trying to get rid of lens flare in post. ;)

You can get a much better idea of all of this with Google, the hard part is in knowing what to ask.

oh ok...that makes sense, and i tried to google it, but didnt know what i was looking for :p

instead of using a flag or gobo or whatever, wouldn't a ND filter do the same thing?

No, an ND filter is to lower the exposure- either to raise the aperture- i.e. to make the f number smaller for a narrower depth of field or to lower the shutter speed needed for things like smoothing out running water or waving grass.

A gobo or a flag or even a lens hood is to prevent unwanted light from entering your lens and causing a lens flare or clouding your image.

Have you ever taken a photo pointing into the sun or a window and had the colors looking washed out or there not being very much contrast between the light and dark bits in the photo? Unwanted light can cause this and the mentioned devices can cure it.

--maybe raise the exposure is a better way to say it as you raise the amount of time it takes or raise the aperture opening.

Last edited:
ok, that makes more sense, i'm on the same page now

thanks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back