Looking for a wide angle zoom Lens for Elan 7e

Hawaii Five-O

My alter-egos have been banned. :( Now I must be
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Eventually I would like to get a wide angle zoom lens for my Canon Elan 7e. Right now I have a 28-80 mm. Any opinion on a good lens would be great, thanks:thumbup:.

Eventually I would like to get a wide angle zoom lens for my Canon Elan 7e. Right now I have a 28-80 mm. Any opinion on a good lens would be great, thanks:thumbup:.

What's your budget and how wide do you want to go? Prime or zoom? The Canon EF 16-35mm f2.8L II USM is very good but pricey

That is nice lens, but a little too pricey. My budget would be around maybe $300. I would need a little more zoom too, like around 200mm.

Are you looking for telephoto or wide angle? 200mm should be on a telephoto side. Unless you are looking for a super zoom type lens such as 18-200mm type.

The 17-40mm F4 L is a great lens. It's above your budget, but it's also one of the least expensive 'L' lenses...and a great bargain for the quality you get.

Of the top of my head, I can't think of any wide angle zoom lenses that will fit your budget and your camera. Lenses that wide, that will cover full frame/35mm film are not cheap.

Yeah, I guess its the super zoom lens that I am looking for. Lens have always been kind of confusing to me. If I were to get a 18-200mm lens, would I still need other wide angle lens such as the 17-40mm?

Any of the 18-200mm lenses won't work on that camera because they are all designed for crop sensor digital cameras.

You are going to need a 'full frame' lens. In the Canon line up, those are EF lenses and not EF-S lenses. I'm not sure about other lens companies.

There is a EF 100-300mm Canon lens that is close to $300. And it is a old design dated back in the 1990. Accord to the review I read, at 100mm, it performance pretty well, but it is soft on the far end such as at 300mm.

Review here

Most of the Canon telephoto zoom lens falls into less than $200 or more than $500 (new). And the non-oem telephone lenses are some what the same.

That lens doesn't seem too bad, but if I wanted a lens with newer technology, I'lll have to pay more than $300 won't I?

I'll keep that lens in consideration though. Thanks for looking it up.

I really wish I could get one of those super zooms, but as said it won't work on the Elan.

I thought we were talking about wide angle lenses? 100-300mm is telephoto, not wide angle.

I have an old Sigma 24-70mm lens, that was my wide angle lens when I shot film. 24mm is actually a fair bit wider than 28mm. It isn't a great lens but I got it used for about $150.

haha BigMike .. I was confused too ... and I am just guessing what the OP actually want.

In the beginning, it was wide angle but I thought, she already had a wide angle ... would it be ... Ultra Wide angle ...?

And later on 200mm was in the picture ... then I am thinking would it be a zoom lens that covers the wide and the telephoto?

but then since OP already had the standard type zoom from the wide angle (28mm) to the telephoto (80mm) ... maybe actually he/she is looking for a telephoto zoom for cover the FAR SIDE and therefore the 100-300mm at less than $300. haha .. so all are just guessing.

Hawaii Five-O, what about some prime lenses? 50mm F/1.8 .. 85mm F/1.8 ... 100mm .... especially the Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 since it is less than $90 new. And it is fun to play with. It is not a zoom lens, but you will see a lot of people talked about that lens here or any other photo forum. (yes, 50mm is not the focal length you are looking for .. but, hahaha ... you never know ..)

Sorry for the confusion guys:blushing:. The lens I was hoping to get was one with both a wide angle plus telephoto like 200mm. I should have put wide angle telephoto lens in my title instead of what i have up there.

but since that combo is not avaialble I would have to go with two lens, such as the 100-300mm and the 17-40mm like you guys mentioned.

Tamron make lens to cover the wide angle and long range telephoto for film based / Full frame sensor camera.

http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/all_in_one_zooms.asp

I believe the 28-200mm is less than $200 vs the 28-300mm is more than $500

And usually the image quality for the "super zoom" type lens is not as good. You can check them out in slrgear.com or any other lens review sites.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back