Looking for a wider lens?

Tamron makes some good quality product too

Yet, Nikkor does not produce a 17-85mm lens.

You had already guessed a 16-35mm, Big Mike thought 17-85mm. Both of those suggestions would have already given an idea of the focal lengths the OP might be looking for. The location of the focus ring on the 17-85mm is of little consequence since it is a Canon product and Chris shoots NIKON. :razz:

Your missing the point. The point is, he likes that lens, I want to get as close to possible as the real focal length, including the zoom range, which is 16-35 which isnt as long as 17-85, If all he is looking for is wide angle, then screw the zoom, and get a wide angle prime... Why dont you help the OP instead of talking to me?...

Forgot to mention: The location of the focus ring matter because it helps you determine which lens it was...As he likes the lens it would be beneficial to find out what the lens was to accurately find a similar lens for Nikon...

Sigma 20mm F/1.8
$459
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/217799-USA/Sigma_411306_Super_W_A_20mm_f_1_8.html

Sigma 18-50mm F/2.8
$449
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/518483-REG/Sigma_582_306_18_50mm_f_2_8_EX_DC.html

What is your budget? Unless I missed it...

+1 on the Sigma 10-20mm.

I use the heck out of this lens for a lot of my client engagements. It's as wide as you can get for the Nikon cameras, and it actually performs better than most of the similarly (but not quite as...) wide Nikkors.

It has some issues at the extremes of the lens, particularly if you are wide open and zoomed all the way out, but I've only had to do that in very few circumstances, and it performs about as poorly as all the wide angles do under these circumstances.

Here's a pic I took for one of my clients of the interior of a hotel room at 10mm.

sheraton.jpg

And here's a skyline pic I took with it (actually zoomed in a bit... zoomed all the way out was actually too much in this case, which was amazing... my buddy with the 18mm was getting really mad at me because he wasn't able to get anywhere near as much as I could in the shot.)

Financial District Skyline - July 2008 - 009 tpf.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back