Looking for advice for new lens and video

joshua_

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone,

I think I've had my camera for just over 4 years now. I've read a lot online, have read a lot of good books, and have learned a lot. I like my camera and for my use I think it will be fine. At some point I may buy another, but I'm not looking to right now unless I am misunderstanding something.

My camera doesn't get used as much as I'd like, but it does get used a decent amount. It's my secondary hobby and it somewhat supports the first hobby. I use it for family photos, my hobby, and I like to take landscape type photos. I really like close ups of flowers, bugs, etc but I don't think I'll make enough time for it to buy a lens right now.

So, I have some questions I'm looking for advice on. I'll list what I have so it may help.

Nikon D3200
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55 f/3.5-5.6G
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G

I have flash that all links and works together, tripod stuff, etc. I think I'm ok for now on supporting gear.

I seem to use my 35mm every chance I get. I think I use the 55-300 the most. I don't remember the last time I used the 18-55.

I want to buy another lens. If I could just get one for now I would, but I can get two if needed. I would like a good lens to accompany what I have. Right now my 35mm lens is what I'd consider nice and my 55-300 is ok for me some of the time, but sure could be better. I don't necessarily need to be able to reach out extremely far, but I do have to stay back away from people some when I'm taking photos for my hobby.

I just bought a drone and will be using it a lot as well. I believe it's going to produce decent video and photos from what I understand. I also plan to get a few small go pro type recorders. I want to use the DSLR in conjunction with all of that.

My hobby is 'practical precision' shooting. We shoot rifles from 100 yards out to about 1300 yards. I don't need to be able to take photos out far, but want to get good photos of folks running through the stages and shooting, etc. If you don't know what I'm talking about you can search for PRS events on the internet and see some videos.

I have some lenses in mind that I think would suit my needs, but that's really where I'm looking for advice. I would like to be able to capture nice images and video with the Nikon D3200, if possible. If I'm misunderstanding and should just skip the Nikon for video, that's ok too.

The lenses I'm looking at are:

16-80 f/2.8
AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR | DX-format zoom lens | Nikon

85mm f/1.8
AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G | Fast Lens from Nikon

50-100 f/1.8 (this will work properly with my camera, right?)
Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM Art | Sigma Corporation of America

17-70 f/2.8 (this will work properly with my camera, right?)
17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro (OS)* HSM | C | Sigma Corporation of America

the 50-100 is at the top of my list right now with the 16-80 coming in next. In some ways, I think the 85mm would be great to accompany my 35mm that I already have.

1. What lens (or lenses) would you recommend for me?
2. What small video recorder would you recommend (like a small go pro)?
3? Can you think of something better that I'm leaving out?

Thank you for any advice!

i recommend what i bought for my wife:
D3300, a significant upgrade from D3000. adding video capability. for small vid cam, i use contour.
Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 - chose speed over extra reach
Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5
Sigma 105 micro - outstanding: HOM9476 Bearded Dragon
Nikon AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED (older) but would like to upgrade to Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back