Looking for advice from Olympus DSLR Users

LauraJayne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,
I was hoping someone might be able to provide me with some assistance with choosing a new lens for my camera. I like to take portrait style pics, and I would really like to take some pics with more blurred backgrounds (or better Bokeh, I guess.) I know for Canon and Nikon they make some pretty inexpensive 50mm 1.8 prime lens that would do the trick, but what can I get for my camera? I was looking at the 50mm 2.0 Zuiko lens, but for $550 CDN, I want to make sure it's what I want before I invest. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

If possible, take your body into a store and try it out. My local shop doesn't rent but they will allow up to two weeks to return it..

Another option is used, I've seen a couple of ZD 50mm's go for $300 lately.

This might be pushing it but, depending on where you live, you may be able to borrow one from a member of the 4/3's forum.

Cheers, Don

Thank you for your input. :) I don't think I can even buy it locally. I checked Henry's online, and they don't carry it in my area. There doesn't seem to be a lot of options for Olympus. :(

Thank you for your input. :) I don't think I can even buy it locally. I checked Henry's online, and they don't carry it in my area. There doesn't seem to be a lot of options for Olympus. :(

True, you have to be creative :)

Henry's shows the 50mm @ $529.99 plus shipping and tax
OLYMPUS 50MM 2.0 MACRO E DIGITAL LENS

McBains is $524.00 plus shipping is $534.00 plus Canadian resident deliveries subject to $26.70 sales tax
McBain Camera -Olympus ED 50mm F2.0 Macro

B&H has it for $449.99 but the shipping and money conversion bring it to $524 and you would have to pay the taxes when you get it....

I think I paid $350 US shipped for my lightly used copy and I'm happy with it... and it was one of the few US shipments I've received that missed being charged tax :)

Cheers, Don

One other option is a OM 50mm f1.8 or f1.4, a good copy can be had for under $100 on ebay.

It is full manual and you will need a $26 ebay converter.

Bokeh is wonderful but you need Good eyes to focus :)

Cheers, Don

Thanks so much! You seem quite knowledgeable on the subject. I will look into it. If you buy camera gear from the U.S., is it exempt from duty? Sorry for all the questions! I just want to make sure I'm making the right choice before the hubby cuts me off of future camera purchases. ;)

There is no duty on US shipments but be Very careful on how you have items shipped.

UPS Expedited is the quickest and there is no brokerage fee but they will collect GST from you when it arrives. DO NOT USE UPS GROUND, they will rip you for upwards of $35 for brokerage....

USPS is the least expensive but will take from 9 to 12 days to get here. When it arrives you pay the taxes and a $5 fee. The odd time it will slip through and there will be no charge :)

Cheers, Don

The Olympus image sensor has a 2x crop factor. Canon's is 1.6x and Nikon is 1.5.

A 50 mm on the Oly will Give a Field-Of-View (FOV) the same as a 100m lens on full frame (35mm) camera. A 50mm on the Canon will give an FOV = 80mm and on a Nikon the FOV = 75mm.

One more thing to consider.

You won't get the same aperture as f/4 on a Canon will if you use f/4 on Olympus. Due to the 2x cropped sensor, the aperture depth of field is half. Same opening size, just more depth of field. Good for landscapes, not so good for portraits.

To get a depth of field of f/4 on a Canon, you need f/2.8 on Olympus. For f/2.8, you need f/2... and so it goes.

Thanks! I've decided to get the converter from ebay and buy an old 1.4 lens. I think that should suffice for now, and maybe I will look at buying a Canon in the future. I have played with the Nikon D60, and it's okay, but I don't think I want a Nikon. Maybe it is because I am used to the functions of my own camera...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back