Looking for advice on new Nikon Camera Upgrade

Photo Lady

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have the Nikon D7100 now.. love it.. hubby wants to buy me a new lens for Christmas.. I love the idea of course but I was wondering if this would be a good time to upgrade the camera..maybe to a D7200 or better.. instead of a new lens.. since the lens I use I am happy with.. is there really much difference in the smaller upgrade keeping price in mind.. I cannot go to far up..lol..thanks

If it were me, I would hang on to my body and opt for a new lens. What you've got is pretty good, and getting a new body won't really open up your ability to do new and/or improved types of photography. What kind of lens are you currently working with?

Tell us what lenses you have currently.

Also, what kind of photography you like to do, or to start doing.

Have you considered full frame bodies?

I upgraded almost 2 years ago from my D7100 to the D750
It was a huge upgrade, low light performance is just on a different level.
D610 has almost same low light performance and while AF on D7100 is better the one on the D610 is very good too so its worth considering since the D750 is more expensive but for me there was no doubt the D750 is the way to go and I never regretted getting it :)

If you want to stick to DX and don't do serious sports shooting then the difference between the D7100 and D7200 isn't huge.
There are some upgrades but the main one is the bigger buffer on the D7200. If the buffer on the D7100 is enough for you then I would stick to the D7100 and wait for the D7300 replacement.

If it were me, I would hang on to my body and opt for a new lens. What you've got is pretty good, and getting a new body won't really open up your ability to do new and/or improved types of photography. What kind of lens are you currently working with?
I use tamron lens for most of my photo work .. 18-270mm, SP70- 300 F/4 -5.6 are the main ones

D610 has almost same low light performance and while AF on D7100 is better the one on the D610 is very good too so its worth considering since the D750 is more expensive but for me there was no doubt the D750 is the way to go and I never regretted getting it :)

If you want to stick to DX and don't do serious sports shooting then the difference between the D7100 and D7200 isn't huge.
There are some upgrades but the main one is the bigger buffer on the D7200. If the buffer on the D7100 is enough for you then I would stick to the D7100 and wait for the D7300 replacement.
Thanks I will look into this one..

Tell us what lenses you have currently.

Also, what kind of photography you like to do, or to start doing.

Have you considered full frame bodies?
I mostly photograph animals..portraits and classic cars.... but in general just everything... enjoy photography not as a living but a hobby..

I might go for the D750.. it was listed about $1,599.00.. by the time I sell the D7100 the balance would not be too bad......... thanks I will learn more about this one..

I use tamron lens for most of my photo work .. 18-270mm, SP70- 300 F/4 -5.6 are the main ones

I mostly photograph animals..portraits and classic cars.... but in general just everything... enjoy photography not as a living but a hobby..

Great, in that case, I'd recommend you getting a new lens, not a new body.

This one, specifically: Sigma 50-100mm f1.8 DC HSM Art | B&H Photo Video

The big plus of this lens will be the f/1.8 aperture for your animal/cars/portraits photography. You will feel a huge improvement, specially in low light and also for bokeh.

If you want a full frame camera, look for a used Nikon D700, like these: Search results for: 'Nikon D700'. But you'd need full frames lenses.

Good luck!

Hi Goodguy.. I remember when we spoke just before I bought the D7100.. so your happy with the D750.. and you consider it a great upgrade.. I cannot wait to look into this.. thanks again

Great, in that case, I'd recommend you getting a new lens, not a new body.

This one, specifically: Sigma 50-100mm f1.8 DC HSM Art | B&H Photo Video

The big plus of this lens will be the f/1.8 aperture for your animal/cars/portraits photography. You will feel a huge improvement, specially in low light and also for bokeh.

If you want a full frame camera, look for a used Nikon D700, like these: Search results for: 'Nikon D700'. But you'd need full frames lenses.

Good luck!
Thanks so much..incase I go for the lens after all.. but a new camera does sound pretty good.....

You may be surprised how little you will get for your used D7100. You can buy a brand new D7100 body for under $800.00. I just recently bought my D7100 and love it! As they say, "It's not the camera, it's the photographer!". I agree with PersistantNoma about getting a new lens. You can get the better low light performance that goodguy talks about with the right fast aperture lens and spend less money than buying a D750. :D

You may be surprised how little you will get for your used D7100. You can buy a brand new D7100 body for under $800.00. I just recently bought my D7100 and love it! As they say, "It's not the camera, it's the photographer!". I agree with PersistantNoma about getting a new lens. You can get the better low light performance that goodguy talks about with the right fast aperture lens and spend less money than buying a D750. :D
I would definitely take your advice if I did not use my camera so much.. I use it just about every day.. so I feel a new one would give me that much more life left.. I am afraid with constant use that something will go wrong with the camera.. I really cannot afford to send it out and be repaired and wait for it to return.. ..I forgot to mention I do use it for ebay selling too......I will have to see what is best .. I have been using the d7100 for about 2 years.. not many days inbetween did I let it rest..... lol...

Yes, unless you are consistently shooting in low light, the faster glass would also be my recommendation. My 7100 AF works so much better with the 105mm 2.8 than it does with the Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 and the sharpness of the faster glass is critical if you want to crop.

As for the 7100 wearing out or whatever you're worried about, in the extremely unlikely event that that should happen, you could easily sell the lens and buy another used 7100 (I paid $499 with free shipping and a 1 year warranty for a refurb 7100 last November from Cameta Camera and it had a shutter count of 86 when it arrived).

Whatever you decide to do, I strongly recommend buying used/refurb from a reputable online or local store. You can really stretch your budget that way.

okay I think I will hold on to my D7100 for now and get a new lens for Christmas.. thanks.. I feel better all ready......

Most reactions

Back