Looking for advice on versatile zoom lens for Nikon

billybob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I currently own a Nikon D70 and three lenses. The kit lens (AF-S 18-70mm 3.5-4.5G ED), an AF-S 55-200mm 4-5.6G ED VR, and a 50mm 1.8D.

I don't like carrying too many things most of the time, so I often find myself cursing my choice of lens for the day when I miss opportunities due to being too close or too far. This, combined with the fact that I am now wealthy enough to afford it, has led me to decide that its time to buy a more versatile general purpose lens.

I do plan on upgrading the body eventually, but I don't see the point right now since I haven't yet outgrown it and by the time I do there will be better options in the market than what I would be able to get now.

So, what is the advice for a fast general purpose zoom lens for a Nikon? I don't care about how bulky the lens is and money is no object. Because it seems, given the D3, that Nikon may be moving back to full frame (and because there's a good chance I'll end up picking up a D3 as an impulse buy), perhaps this lens should be full frame?

IMO, when someone talks about having one lens to walk around with and has an aversion to changing lenses, then image quality takes a back seat.

Since money is not an issue for yourself, I like the 24-70mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8 combo. Personally, I use the 24-70mm much more of the time. I have gone to events with the 24-70mm on my D300 and the 70-200mm on my D80. Worked great, not switching lenses and I could sling the bodies back and forth quite easily.

I don't like carrying too many things most of the time, so I often find myself cursing my choice of lens for the day when I miss opportunities due to being too close or too far.

I don't care about how bulky the lens is and money is no object. Because it seems, given the D3, that Nikon may be moving back to full frame (and because there's a good chance I'll end up picking up a D3 as an impulse buy), perhaps this lens should be full frame?

Ughhh, not to be mean and im sure your a nice person, but this really makes you seem a total beginner who thinks its all about the equipment and having the best.

You say here that you dont wanna carry alot, then you say your cool with some huge lens mounted on a D3, do you know how heavy that is? Also, if your shooting with a D3 your pretty much saying your a pro, and pros use good glass aswell, and there never gonna be a professional lens that will give good enough image quality that covers a large range. So if you want go buy all that stuff so you can walk around and have other photographers look at you and laugh.

ok
back to nice jimmy

I think what you should look at getting is a D80 or D200/300 and a 18-200mm VR

Have a nice day

?
As far as versatility you cant go wrong...which is what i think the OP was looking for

?
As far as versatility you cant go wrong...which is what i think the OP was looking for

@kundalini

I'm not saying it's a got thing, but he is right. The OP is tired of having to take the two kit lenses with him. The ONLY thing that will take less space and effort than that is the 18-200mm. Having to lug a 24-70 and a 70-200 doesn't seem to change the problem which the OP stated at all. Of course, as you kindly noted, with the 18-200 the image quality is going to take the back seat.

@OP

For the problem you've stated, I'd recommend you the 18-200 as well - as versatile as it gets (I think Tamron or Sigma have a 18-250mm version though). But if you got so wealthy to think of getting the D3, I'd recommend you to seriously think of lugging the lenses which kundalini mentioned with you. Wonderful lenses!

looks like you'll want to look into the 18-200 VR or 18-135, but like what everyone is saying, IQ takes a back seat.

Is the image quality of the 18-200 VR lower than the image quality of the other two zoom lenses I already have?

JimmyO:

You recommend getting a D80 or D200 or 300. Why? I haven't even reached the potential of the one I already have. Is changing bodies going to make everything better despite that fact?

My plan for changing bodies was to wait until the high ISO capabilities of the D3 made it to the prosumer bodies (I assume this will occur a year or two from now with the D400 and D90 models). Unless, on impulse I ended up deciding I needed it now.

Is changing bodies now really going to do anything for me given that I'm not even using half of the capabilities of the D70 yet?

Finally, what do you have against total beginners? In the opening post, I was up front about the fact I don't know enough to even justify an upgrade of a 5 year old camera. It is implied by my post that neither do I know enough to select the right equipment without seeking advice from people who know more. So, I'm not here pretending I know anything. The only thing I do know is that after missing out on way too many shots in my last trip because I didn't want to wear a backpack and brought a lens that couldn't take them, I decided I needed something more versatile. Yes, I'm a beginner. I'm taking a beginner level summer course that begins on Monday and I know very little. So what?

@billybob

No reason to get upset. Jimmy didn't say he has something against total beginners. He just might have something against total beginners who think it's all about the equipment.
Concerning the lenses, you could either:
1. Buy the 18-200mm. I'm not sure if it has better IQ than the kit lenses, but for USD650 it better had. Check some reviews on www.photozone.de and you'll know more.
2. Buy two better (and more expensive) lenses and a lens holder. One lens on the camera, one in the holder. Quite easier to carry around than a backpack. Gives you better lenses to use on your future FX camera. However, the 24-70 has a rather weird range on a DX body.

Actually, you could also do option #3: get a lens holder for your kit lens, go around with then and save money, and once a prosumer FX body is out, get the body, the 24-70 and 70-200.

@billybob

No reason to get upset. Jimmy didn't say he has something against total beginners. He just might have something against total beginners who think it's all about the equipment.
Concerning the lenses, you could either:
1. Buy the 18-200mm. I'm not sure if it has better IQ than the kit lenses, but for USD650 it better had. Check some reviews on www.photozone.de and you'll know more.
2. Buy two better (and more expensive) lenses and a lens holder. One lens on the camera, one in the holder. Quite easier to carry around than a backpack. Gives you better lenses to use on your future FX camera. However, the 24-70 has a rather weird range on a DX body.

Actually, you could also do option #3: get a lens holder for your kit lens, go around with then and save money, and once a prosumer FX body is out, get the body, the 24-70 and 70-200.

Thanks a lot for the advice.

Googling "lens holder" or camera "lens holder" yields weird results that are probably not what you are talking about. So, what is a lens holder and where can I get one?

That looks perfect. I totally wouldn't mind attaching one of those things to my belt, I just don't like lugging around a backpack. It wasn't the solution that I thought I was going to find, but it may be even better. Thanks a lot.

Sorry, I had a train of thought going and the phone rang. I was going somewhere with it and then lost it. :confused: Still haven't found it either.

The 24-70mm and 70-200mm comes with it's own carrier bag. For that kind of money, it'd be a shame if Nikkor didn't provide. Bear in mind that the 70-200mm weighs in at 3.20 lbs (1.5 kg) and is 8.5" (215mm) long. Not likely to fit on a belt. I sling it around my neck off to the side. I did have to buy a Lowepro S&F for my 12-24mm though.:er:

I currently own a Nikon D70 and three lenses. The kit lens (AF-S 18-70mm 3.5-4.5G ED), an AF-S 55-200mm 4-5.6G ED VR, and a 50mm 1.8D.

I don't like carrying too many things most of the time, so I often find myself cursing my choice of lens for the day when I miss opportunities due to being too close or too far. This, combined with the fact that I am now wealthy enough to afford it, has led me to decide that its time to buy a more versatile general purpose lens.

I hope the site at below link can help a bit since you have the 18-70 for comparison. The nikon general purpose walk around lens is 18-200, in which not the top class according to some. In here you judge yourself since you have th 18-70. Is this the lens you after?

Just don't forget to click the next page at the bottom of that page since they are 5 pages.

Happy reading.
http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/Nikon_Lens_comparison_intro.shtml

Honestly if you don't want to lug lenses around why bother with a DSLR I know a lot of point and shoot cameras that are extremely light and you never have to worry about changing lenses.

Most reactions

Back