Looking for an cheapish SLR

mattman59

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My wife and I are going on a trip to Cabo San Lucas in about 3 weeks. She and I both like photography and both of us have "point and click" 3 or so megapixel Canons.

I have about $700 to spend on the camera and a beginner len. I have seen some pretty sweet deals on ebay for combos but its all Greek to me. I guess what I am really looking for is to be pointed in the direction on some newbie guides and some recommendations on good value cameras.

Welcome to the forum.

Canon Rebel XTi or the previous version, the Rebel XT.
Maybe even an older Canon 20D.

Nikon D40, D40x or older D50.
Maybe an older D70 or D70s.

Welcome to the forum.

Canon Rebel XTi or the previous version, the Rebel XT.
Maybe even an older Canon 20D.

Nikon D40, D40x or older D50.
Maybe an older D70 or D70s.

Is it kosher to post links to ebay auctions here to ask about?

Unless you're some vendor trying to get hits on the auctions, I don't see why you can't post the links for reference.

I've seen some Nikon D40's for $600 at the local stores. My friend has one, and it takes awesome photos. Of course, I'm comparing them to my point and shoot, but still, can't believe the difference.

For me, since I've had Canon's, I'll be opting for the Rebel XT (~$700)

Go ahead and post the auction you are looking at, we don't mind.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You might want to hold them as well before buying. I have the D40 and love it. Yes it is 6.1mp but due to new technology it takes pictures as well as a higher MP camera. I also like holding the Nikon D40 MUCH better than the Canon XT & XTi. Also for the price you can't beat them. Just my opinion:) Good luck

I'd be extremely cautious of any business front doing business on ebay from the New York City area....

no one mentioned the Pentax K100D... also within your budget.

I'd be extremely cautious of any business front doing business on ebay from the New York City area....

no one mentioned the Pentax K100D... also within your budget.

If I do get one on ebay I will use a credit card so that I can do a chargeback if I get scammed. I use a credit card on 99.999999% of my online purchases.

What is going to be the difference between the 6.1 megapixel and the 10 megapixel?

What is going to be the difference between the 6.1 megapixel and the 10 megapixel?
Not really as much as you might think. With a 10MP camera, it will easier to make large prints or to crop...but even a good 6MP DSLR can result in great looking prints 8x10 and larger.

Just be SURE you are getting USA Warranty on anything new you buy... don't trust "store warranty" stuff any farther than you can throw the store...

If you do go gray market, warranties for stuff with "international" warranty are available at a reasonable price from Mack.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back