Looking for backpack that's a backpack first and camera bag second

JClishe

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for a backpack that can carry and DSLR and minimal accessories, and have plenty of room left over for other stuff. The Lowepro Fastpack 200 and Tamrac Aero 80 are close to what I'm looking for, but they still come up short as far as their backpack compartment goes.

Basically I'm looking for a backpack, but one that also happens to have a camera compartment. Everything that I've seen is just the opposite: They are camera bags in a backpack form factor, and oh by the way here's a little compartment for other stuff.

I have a Tamrac Expedition 5x, and that's the bag I'll bring with me if I want all my camera gear. However, many times I'll go out and I want my camera and *maybe* another lens, but I also want to bring a snack, a water bottle, maybe a book and/or Kindle, maybe a GPS, perhaps my Zune, etc., and I want a true backpack with plenty of non-camera related storage. Also, my son is a diabetic so if I'm with him I'll need room for his supplies and snacks.

I just haven't seen a backpack like this. Any ideas?

Look into the lowepro fastpack series.... the top half is a regular storage compartment and the bottom half is build like a small shoulder camera bag.

The other option I have used in the past is to pack a small shoulder bag and put into another larger regular backpack (towards the bottom). This gives you the option of taking out the shoulderbag and slinging it over your shoulder incase you need the extra space or if you need easy access.

Oh yeh.. liquids should be packed outside the back.. not inside... just incase it leaks.

I'm looking for a backpack that can carry and DSLR and minimal accessories, and have plenty of room left over for other stuff. The Lowepro Fastpack 200 and Tamrac Aero 80 are close to what I'm looking for, but they still come up short as far as their backpack compartment goes.

Basically I'm looking for a backpack, but one that also happens to have a camera compartment. Everything that I've seen is just the opposite: They are camera bags in a backpack form factor, and oh by the way here's a little compartment for other stuff.

I have a Tamrac Expedition 5x, and that's the bag I'll bring with me if I want all my camera gear. However, many times I'll go out and I want my camera and *maybe* another lens, but I also want to bring a snack, a water bottle, maybe a book and/or Kindle, maybe a GPS, perhaps my Zune, etc., and I want a true backpack with plenty of non-camera related storage. Also, my son is a diabetic so if I'm with him I'll need room for his supplies and snacks.

I just haven't seen a backpack like this. Any ideas?

I don't think you'll find one. I haven't anyway.

Closest thing might be a hiker's pack or a military one with room for dividers. I'm in the same boat. I trudge around desert/mountain race courses and a backpack is a must because I carry water, clothes, food etc along with camera equip.

If you find something cool, be sure to share.

Most reactions

Back