Looking for battery grip for my D70.

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by anubis404, Nov 6, 2008.

1. anubis404

anubis404 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am in the market for a battery grip for my D70s. It has to be under $50, and I don't need anything complicated. Just something I can hold and that will take pics vertically. Any suggestions?

2. Kegger

Kegger TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The only grips you are gonna find are third party, like Phottix. Nikon never released a grip for the D70, so if you decide to get one it's gonna have a wire somewhere.

3. anubis404

anubis404 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I thought most of them operated through IR. In any case, do you know what specs on a grip I should be looking for?

4. Alleh Lindquist

Alleh Lindquist TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    back when I was using a D70 I wanted one also but nothing pratical exists that I could find.

5. anubis404

anubis404 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I found a couple on ebay, but they seem too expensive ($80+). What is unpractical about the D70 grips?

6. Phranquey

Phranquey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I had one of the aftermarket grips on on my D70, and they are nice for providing extra heft and grip area, as well as holding two batteries for extended shooting (very, very nice).
    The only drawback was that the D70(s) does not have electrical contacts for the grip to fire the shutter vertically. You have to run a goofy fiber-optic cable from the grip's IR transmitter to a glue-on clip in front of the camera's IR receiver. The first time you catch it on something, you will likely pull off the clip....

7. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    they dont all run on IR.. only for like the d40/x/60 and 70.. and 50 i think.. these cameras werent made with the proper internals to run a grip, that is why third party companies like phottix came up with the IR grips... cameras like the d80 have the computer technology inside to not have to use IR, the shutter on the grip for a d80 works just like your normal shutter button.. the downer with the phottix grips is you HAVE to be in Remote mode to use them.. so if your into things like skate photography (like me) and your wanting to do sequence shots in the vertical its not going to happen with the phottix, because you can ONLY shoot in remote mode... hope tht helps