Looking for bellows for Nikon

Dan Johnson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm interested in getting a bellows for use with my Nikon. I assume I would want a pb-4 or pb-6. When I try to find one online, noone has any in stock. Why are these bellows so hard to find? Is there an alternative that people are using, so that bellows are going out of use???

Thanks in advance!

Bellows are really fussy to use. They need to have a long lens attached to prevent the front element from touching the subject, they need to be tripod mounted, you lose automation using one. In other words, they are to be avoided except for those rare instances when someone needs a repro ratio greater than 1:1. They aren't very popular. My own preference in those situations is simply to mount an achromat to the front of my macro lens.

Thanks for the input. I'm photographing things that are as small as 3 mm, so I need reproduction well beyond 1:1. I usually do manual exposure and shoot indoors, so I think it will work for me. I normally shoot with a 60mm 1:1 nikon lense. I'm a little concerned about it hitting the subject.

I did manage to find a pb-6 bellows at adorama and ordered it. I may end up getting a longer lense later if necessary.

Tubes are a lot cheaper and if you have a zoom you can do fine focus with the zoom.

mike

Tubes aren't comparable. Tubes normally work around 1:1 or lower repro ratios. Bellows start at around 1:1 and go to around 4:1.

you lose automation using one.

Not sure, but I think Novoflex produces bellows which at least still allow partial automation. However automatic control of the aperture and AF only works for Canon EOS if I remember right.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back