Looking for best canon lens for landscape

Cbretvr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
About 2 years ago I bought my first decent camera. I bought a Canon EOS 70D. Body only. And then purchased a Tamron 16-300 lens. I do a lot of hiking and wanted a lens to cover everything. I take landscape pics. Sunrise. Sunsets. Fall foliage. And lots of waterfalls. I also take star pics. Even started nighttime waterfall pics. I purchased Lightroom CC and have gotten pretty good using it. Now. I'm wanting to go to the next step. Can't afford to buy the best camera and lens to go with it. Instead I want to keep my camera for now. And purchase a high quality lens for my needs. And later upgrade to a full frame camera.

I need help selecting the right lens. Or lenses. For what I described above. Keep in mind I'm not looking for a budget lens or lenses. I want high quality that will work with my camera now but also want to make sure it will work with my camera I will buy in the future. It will be a Canon full frame. Any suggestions??

Your camera is good enough to do most things very very well. I know that lots of people that do landscape use wide angle lenses. The fact you do star trails implies a fast wide angle lens also.

I would look at the tokina 11-16 f2.8, or indeed the tikina 11-20f 2.8. I'd also look at the sigma 10-20 f3.5. Google shots taken with these, see are they suitable. There are other wide angle alternative lenses also, but these be good ones to check out

(Just saw the full frame bit , missed it first time. It's hard to get a very wide full frame lens that is very wide on your crop, I suggest you buy for what you have now, sell later, if you buy clever or second hand, you'll likely lose very little money wise)

image.jpg
image.jpg
I do need to clarify I do not do star trails. But would love to try that. But I'm not sure how to process star trail photos. The ones I do are just Milky Way pics or just stars over waterfalls. I do the best with the lens I have. Wanting a better one.

View attachment 121161 View attachment 121160 I do need to clarify I do not do star trails. But would love to try that. But I'm not sure how to process star trail photos. The ones I do are just Milky Way pics or just stars over waterfalls. I do the best with the lens I have. Wanting a better one.

spend $200 on a 10-18 or less on a rokinon 14mm
And if you do a lot star pics get a star tracker mount

Most reactions

Back