Looking For C&C My Portraiture

is this the part where he posts the candid shot of that hippie chick at some festival?:scratch:

So you think a professional photographer should be beyond critique? I think thats foolish. I'm confidant that I can professionally do portraits for someone and they will be ecstatic with the results thats why Ive started my business. But I'm not interested in just being good enough I want to continue to improve and grow in my photography. And being critiqued by other photographers is an excellent way to do that. But thanks for the comment.

If you're a true pro, yes. You don't get 'critiques'.

The point I'm making is that you're nowhere near ready to think about doing professional photography. That should be the last thing on your mind. You're just beginning.

Judging from your work you're nowhere near ready to think about telling others they are or are not at a professional level. So I'm going to keep asking for input and continue to improve myself. I have no desire to be just "competent enough" so please take your stagnation elsewhere.

Many people come here talking about doing 'professional' work of weddings and portraiture. There is a difference between "making money with your camera" and being a true professional. The advice I give is based on very stringent criteria. If you want to make money with your camera that's fine, and I'm all for it. If you want to be considered a true 'professional', however, you have to meet a very high standard. It also takes a lot of time to accumulate all that skill and knowledge. You cannot get that through critiques on a web site. It requires guidance and apprenticeship or instruction.

For the record, I have 46 years of experience in the photographic field. None of my professional work is stored on this site. (Do you really want to see my photographs of White-Westinghouse appliances? Didn't think so. LOL) You therefore have no idea what "my work" looks like or of the knowledge I have of studio lighting, etc. I have not worked as a portrait photographer, but I do know what is involved. I have worked with several professional commercial photographers as an assistant photographer (in the 1980s) and learned a lot in the process. I worked in studios using 4x5 view cameras and large lighting systems. The photos I have on here are simply candids of people I have take this summer, and are stored here simply for internet access.

Many people come here talking about doing 'professional' work of weddings and portraiture. There is a difference between "making money with your camera" and being a true professional.
No, actually there isn't. Professionalism is NOT a measure of skill, but a measure of financial remuneration. I suspect that there are many so-called amateurs who would put many "professionals" to shame with their skills.

The advice I give is based on very stringent criteria.
And the name of this photographic body who has set these critieria? If it's your critieria, I believe the word you are actually searching for is "opinion".

(Do you really want to see my photographs of White-Westinghouse appliances? Didn't think so. LOL)
Actually, yes I would. Where can I see some of your work?

and in closing... Lighten up Francis!

Well this has gone on for way to long. So ill just go on being not a professional but just making money from my photography to earn a living. And you can just go on being your self.

I really like #1. The tonal range and relationships are beautiful. The white specs on the wall almost simulate some type of particle effect and almost add a sense of motion to the image. Really nice shot.

Obviously P-Prime has been banned. He is full of nonsense and probably full of frustration with where photography has gone and where he was left behind. These forums are full of all types, with all different types of motivations for contributing.

Imo crits are for everyone at every level. Does he seriously think when Christopher Nolan finished the first cut of "Inception", nobody critiqued it? When Anne Lebowitz shoots a $200,000 Vogue shoot, she doesn't ask anyone she trusts for their opinion?

OP, I love your signature tag line. Imo photography is 95% vision, 5% gear. Of course if you don't have the gear, you can't shoot or do post, but once you do, the rest of your image is mainly determined by the creative process.

Good luck!

Thanks! It drives me crazy when someone just attributes everything to equipment. "If I just had that camera I could take good pictures tooo" I have hands and feet but that doesn't make me an expert in karate (though admittedly it would help).

OP, I understand that Mmartin didn't offer a critique, but I think the problem is that many people don't know how to do that, or how to articulate what they see.

I didn't look very long online, but this seems like a good start:

News: Photographer's Toolbox | How to Critique a Photo

The article above addresses the technical aspects of a photograph a great deal but I wish it spent more time than it does on the artist intention side of the image. The conceptual side of photography isn't as hard to discuss as many think. It basically centers around what the photograph represents and is trying to say--AND whether it is working to not. It can be emotions and ideas. When you can give this kind of feedback, it really hits deep, and the artist will really have something to contemplate.

Love your BW conversion. Usually they are very very flat and just plain nasty but you have done it very well. My only critique with the first one is to watch her skin tone and what the conversion does to it - it looks a bit 'gritty' on the shadowed part of her cheek, but otherwise very nice.

Second one I like the lighting on her face, not a fan of the background and the pose is kind of "I am peaking over your fence and yet I am surprised to see you!". She is a gorgeous model and can pull of that look but not sure about the posing if that makes sense ??

Three, the colours look stellar, really, I think you have your processing down as a whole. Once again, not sure about the chair, or the posing, but that can be personal preference.

The rest look quite good. I am a bit of a skin tone nut so I am not 100% fund of the partially desaturated look but that is once again preference. Second last one watch those blown highlights (but true white shirts are an absolute PAIN for that so.. no judging there heh). Adore the last one.

Also. A 'professional' who no longer thinks s/he needs critiques is hardly a professional Petraio.

Most reactions

Back