No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.photo1x1.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi people,
May I ask for your help?
I´m looking for a correct enlish word. How would you call the best spot from where to photograph a sight, or a famous building.
Let´s say you are traveling and want to find the best spot from where to photograph the big ben. How would you call that spot?

In Austria we would call that Fotolocation (which is actually a mix of languages, but everybody would understand). Unfortunately I couldn´t find that in any of the online dictionaries.

I thought there is no better place to ask than in a photography forum ;).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Wolfgang

Last edited:
I don't think there is a single English word which describes what you are seeking. An easy translation to Photo Location works ... you could put an adjective in front of Photo Location for greater impact as in- Prime Photo Location, or Best Photo Location, et cetera. At Disneyland there were little yellow signs all over the park with the wording of "Kodak Picture Spot" indicating a good Fotolocation. (But those sign have been removed.)

Vantage point is the phrase. Example; what is the best vantage point to capture the Golden Gate Bridge? Or What is the optimal vantage point for shooting a high school basketball game?

I don't think there is a single English word which describes what you are seeking. An easy translation to Photo Location works ... you could put an adjective in front of Photo Location for greater impact as in- Prime Photo Location, or Best Photo Location, et cetera. At Disneyland there were little yellow signs all over the park with the wording of "Kodak Picture Spot" indicating a good Fotolocation. (But those sign have been removed.)
Thanks, Gary! I like the phrase Picture Spot
They probably removed it because Kodak wasn´t willing to pay anymore ;).
Best Photo Location sounds good too though!

Vantage point is the phrase. Example; what is the best vantage point to capture the Golden Gate Bridge? Or What is the optimal vantage point for shooting a high school basketball game?
Thanks a lot, jcdeboever. That´s a phrase I would have never used - very good to have the experts here!!!

Oh that is simple and universal. It is X.
You look at any map around the world showing your immediate surroundings and X is always the spot you are at.

You are here.jpg

At places like Horseshoe Bend, the correct term is "the tripod holes".

Sammmmmmmme vantage point for tens of thousands of on-line images.

I call it The Place I Stood.

"lookout" is often used (usually for scenic spots). From time to time, I've seen pictograms of cameras, pointing to the spot where you get the best view. I've also seen the "X" that Gryphonslair99 mentions, although I always have the urge to look up to see if anything is going to fall down (too many Road-runner cartoons as a kid) onto that "X".

There is usually more than 1 'best' place to make a photo of something.
Thanks, Keith - of course there is.
I´m actually looking for a name for a service I want to provide to tourists of my hometown. I want to create a website with the best spots for photography in town, and offer photography workshops for tourists while they are in town, guiding them to the best spots and assisting them while they take their pictures.
So what I need is a name that explains it a bit before people visit the site or read much about it.

Maybe I should have explained that before ;)

"lookout" is often used (usually for scenic spots). From time to time, I've seen pictograms of cameras, pointing to the spot where you get the best view. I've also seen the "X" that Gryphonslair99 mentions, although I always have the urge to look up to see if anything is going to fall down (too many Road-runner cartoons as a kid) onto that "X".
Thanks for your help - I´ll keep that roadrunner image in mind :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back