Looking for critique on lighting

smakelijk11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What tips could you give me on this photo? I used Portra Pack to make it look like film and then desaturated.

Attachments

• Tara9_compressed.JPG
    Tara9_compressed.JPG
    421.6 KB · Views: 174
I like the liughting on her hair, face, and clothes, but her eyes look dark and somewhat feature-less; if there was a tip, it would be to try to get a little bit more eyeball differentiation, a litle bit of light shining directly on to the eyeball surface, so there would be more 'eye color'--even in a B&W rendering.

Thank you so much! That would be an easy fix in Photoshop, right?

Here is the colour version.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    521.5 KB · Views: 203
I like the lighting - shows off her nice features, and it's also feminine and flattering. Although I much prefer the color version. Not sure the black and white conversion is adding much more?

I like the colour version. In relation to lighting, my only comments relate to the lack of brightness in here eyes (could have been achieved with a reflector held at waist level) and also a little more light to the models hair (model left) would have brought out more detail in those curls. Also, and not related to lighting, her skin tones looks a little too red. Might be interesting to see the same image but with the red channel desaturated slightly. Cheers

Also, and not related to lighting, her skin tones looks a little too red. Might be interesting to see the same image but with the red channel desaturated slightly

Please ignore this part of my post. Just realised i was looking at the image in exporer! Switching to safari the skin tones seem spot on.

What tips could you give me on this photo?
The most troublesome aspect of this is that it is off-balance, and not in a good way. You've framed your model in landscape mode whereas you should have, IMO, framed the shot in portrait mode. And you have not placed your model in the middle of the frame. I realize that might be considered a subjective decision on the part of the photographer, but there are guidelines for doing that as well as cropping, lighting, etc. Being "off by a smidgin" is not the same as "artistic placement".

If you have cropped this in post, and there happens to be a lot more image with which to work, I suggest you crop differently. Alternatively, you can try again next time.

Last edited:
The most troublesome aspect of this is that it is off-balance, and not in a good way. You've framed your model in landscape mode whereas you should have, IMO, framed the shot in portrait mode. And you have placing your model in the middle of the frame. I realize that might be considered a subjective decision on the part of the photographer, but there are guidelines for doing that as well as cropping, lighting, etc. Being "off by a smidgin" is not the same as "artistic placement".

If you have cropped this in post, and there happens to be a lot more image with which to work, I suggest you crop differently. Alternatively, you can try again next time.
Thank you. Couldn't I just crop it to be in portrait mode?

I like the colour version. In relation to lighting, my only comments relate to the lack of brightness in here eyes (could have been achieved with a reflector held at waist level) and also a little more light to the models hair (model left) would have brought out more detail in those curls. Also, and not related to lighting, her skin tones looks a little too red. Might be interesting to see the same image but with the red channel desaturated slightly. Cheers
Thank you so much man!

The most troublesome aspect of this is that it is off-balance, and not in a good way. You've framed your model in landscape mode whereas you should have, IMO, framed the shot in portrait mode. And you have placing your model in the middle of the frame. I realize that might be considered a subjective decision on the part of the photographer, but there are guidelines for doing that as well as cropping, lighting, etc. Being "off by a smidgin" is not the same as "artistic placement".

Thank you. Couldn't I just crop it to be in portrait mode?

The biggest issue then is that the top of her head will still be missing...becasue no, you cannot just crop something to rectify an original, shooting-time decision...at this framing, losing the top of the hair looks a bit unnatural. The shot is not a really close-up shot, so the proper, traditional framing would include the entire head.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back