looking for digital and close-up lens

jamesiwalker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have gotten into photography in the last few years , and had been
using a non-professional camera (my mom's) that nevertheless had a nice
super-macro mode. I am interested in macro/micro photography and am looking into a camera that supports interchangeable lenses
and also a lens that gets very close - I noticed Canon has a 1-5X close-up lens which is the type of lens I would be interested in. I would
like some advice on which camera to get that would be adaptable with
a very nice close up lens - I am interested in closer than 1:1 -
probably not able to go over $700 for the camera, ($800-$950 maybe but that would be pushing it) looking for a low
end price SLR camera with the minimum that I need for my interests,
and willing to go up to about $900 for the lens. Could someone point me
to a camera (or cameras) that supports very close close-up lenses, and also a lens? Image stabilization would be quite important for very close-up
photography, wouldn't it?
Thank you.

If digital is not a 'must have', any decent old 35mm film camera with a good standard lens and a set of extension tubes which include a reversing ring will do it for very few bucks. You can always have a disc made when the film is developed. Macro work is best done from a stand or tripod.

The cost of the gear shouldn't be more than a few hundred dollars. That leaves all sorts of money available for the film and processing.

For a cheap solution, look at a Canon Digital Rebel, (not the XT, the previous model). They are selling pretty cheap now, if you can find one. Don't get the kit lens. Get a 50mm f/1.8, which is around $75, and get yourself a cheap set of extension tubes, which you can probably find for around $50-100. You'll get better than 1:1 if you buy a kit of 3 extension tubes totalling 65mm.

jamesiwalker said:
I noticed Canon has a 1-5X close-up lens which is the type of lens I would be interested in.

Just a note if you didn't notice. That canon lens is manual focus only. It is best used by setting a magnifcation level (I believe it's printed on the barrel) and moving the whole camera until what you want is in focus. I find that manual focus is very difficult with my 20D which is the model above the digital rebel line. Sometimes I convinced I have focus spot on, only to get home and find out I was completely wrong.

I had a similar problem and I agree with Torus34 and Digital Matt. I have a 50mm 1.8 and I just bought a set of Kenko extension tubes $170 from http://www.bhphotovideo.com.

Nikon has a beautiful 105mm 2.8 Micro Nikkor lens it runs about $899 at Ritz Camera but you can probably get it just about anywhere. This is a n extremely sharp close up lens and being a 105mm you dont have to get 2" from your subject to get a great closeup photo. This will fit on any Nikon body D70s being probably the closest to your price range if you just want the body it runs around $699 body only more with a lens. This is a serious macro lens and it also has Vibration reduction (image stabilization by another name).

Most reactions

Back