looking for dslr

willsmom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello there, I am new and wanting to advance my photography skills. I am wanting a dslr in a bad way. I had been thinking about the T1i. If my choices are between the T1i and the T2i, what would you suggest. If I am wanting to 'go big or go home' then should I start off with the EOS 60D, or is that to much for a beginer?? I am sticking to the Canon because they seem to offer more for your money. The reason why I'm loving the T1i and T2i is because they also have video (a new and awesome feature that I would love to have more for fun than anything) I really cant afford to go much bigger than the 60D. Thanks in advance for all your advise and help!! :confused:

There's a couple of things that might help make a decision:

(also look here: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...allery/116876-before-you-ask-what-camera.html)

o What kind of photography are you interested in? Think portraits, sports, night, landscape, events, underwater, product, vacations, family snapshots, other.
o How seriously will you be taking photography? Is it just for fun, a serious hobby, are you hoping to make a career out of it?
o What is your past experience? What was your last camera? What do you like / dislike about your previous photos?

Trying to avoid yet another discussion on Canon vs Nikon (honestly!) I would say don't rule out Nikon (or Sony or Pentax, but that is tougher to justify - I would stick with the big two unless you know you want something else). I own a Canon myself, but Nikon have some very competetive packages which might suit your needs better. Or not. The D3100, D5000 and D90 might be options (or the D7000 when released, but that might be too expensive).

Canon released the T2i, because Nikon's D90 was killing sales of the T1i. So, I would recommend you go for the T2i if Canon is the way you want to go.

You said Canon "seem to offer more for your money." Yes, Canon is very mindful of making sure their marketing foments that perspective. That doesn't mean they really do "offer more for your money."

As an example, and something a new-to-dSLR buyer wouldn't know to consider, is that for years now, all Nikon dSLR cameras have had color aware metering, but only a couple of the newer, more expensive Canon cameras do.

Another difference a newbie wouldn't note is that Nikon offers a built-in off camera speedlight triggering capability(CLS) that is head and shoulders above what Canon offers. Again, with the exception of newer Canon cameras that are beginning to appear with a built-in system nearly as competent as what Nikon has been offering for years.

Be sure and do your research, because you may discover other camera brands that in fact do offer more for your money, rather than just seeming to do so with slick marketing.

Be sure and check out Pentax and Sony dSLR cameras too. ;)

Last edited:
Canon released the T2i, because Nikon's D90 was killing sales of the T1i. So, I would recommend you go for the T2i if Canon is the way you want to go.

You said Canon "seem to offer more for your money." Yes, Canon is very mindful of making sure their marketing foments that perspective. That doesn't mean they really do "offer more for your money."

As an example, and something a new-to-dSLR buyer wouldn't know to consider, is that for years now, all Nikon dSLR cameras have had color aware metering, but only a couple of the newer, more expensive Canon cameras do.

Another difference a newbie wouldn't note is that Nikon offers a built-in off camera speedlight triggering capability(CLS) that is head and shoulders above what Canon offers. Again, with the exception of newer Canon cameras that are beginning to appear with a built-in system nearly as competent as what Nikon has been offering for years.

Be sure and do your research, because you may discover other camera brands that in fact do offer more for your money, rather than just seem do with slick marketing.

Be sure and check out Pentax and Sony dSLR cameras too. ;)

Hey...can we get some people to pile on KmH for stating that Nikon is ahead of Canon in a couple of important areas?? How about some outrage?? How about it some "No they're not!" C'mon, it's time to go out and win one for the Gipper!!! "push 'em back, push 'em back, rah-rah sis boom bah!"

Oh...I stand corrected since usayit....

There's a couple of things that might help make a decision:

(also look here: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...allery/116876-before-you-ask-what-camera.html)

o What kind of photography are you interested in? Think portraits, sports, night, landscape, events, underwater, product, vacations, family snapshots, other.
o How seriously will you be taking photography? Is it just for fun, a serious hobby, are you hoping to make a career out of it?
o What is your past experience? What was your last camera? What do you like / dislike about your previous photos?

Trying to avoid yet another discussion on Canon vs Nikon (honestly!) I would say don't rule out Nikon (or Sony or Pentax, but that is tougher to justify - I would stick with the big two unless you know you want something else). I own a Canon myself, but Nikon have some very competetive packages which might suit your needs better. Or not. The D3100, D5000 and D90 might be options (or the D7000 when released, but that might be too expensive).

I am truly interested in about everything but underwater! This camera will not only be for family use but for artistic as well. I would say that for now, it is a serious hobby but if someday it turns pro then I would be more than trilled. So... do I upgrade then after I have things figured out or do a one time buy?? My guess is upgrade at that point. As for past cameras I have just had a P&S and hate it with the most passtion anyone could have toward anything. It takes so long to actually take the picture that I have missed what I was wanting to capture. I have done lots of research, about 6 months daily actually but you bring up some good points that I believe I could research for years and still not know everything that I sould be looking for! Thanks! And video is something that I would really like to have that is why I was thinking my choices were a little limited. Thanks again!

I am truly interested in about everything but underwater!
Then you're probably going to want to rent / borrow lenses, which i would think you will find easier with Nikon and / or Canon. Of course, if there's a huge Pentax dealer 2 block away from you then that might change your mind! ;)

This camera will not only be for family use but for artistic as well. I would say that for now, it is a serious hobby but if someday it turns pro then I would be more than trilled. So... do I upgrade then after I have things figured out or do a one time buy?? My guess is upgrade at that point.
I don't think there is such a thing as a one-time buy in the digital world. So, if you do take to photography I almost guarantee that you will change the camera body a few years down the road.

It's also worth pointing out that the differences between all the cameras mentioned are relatively small. They all operate pretty much the same way, the principles the same and if you took the same image with each of them (using comparable lenses) then I doubt you would tell which was which.

As for past cameras I have just had a P&S and hate it with the most passtion anyone could have toward anything. It takes so long to actually take the picture that I have missed what I was wanting to capture.

As long as you stick to the viewfinder (rather than live view) then pretty much any DSLR will be close to instant (ignoring any issues with obtaining focus).

I have done lots of research, about 6 months daily actually but you bring up some good points that I believe I could research for years and still not know everything that I sould be looking for! Thanks! And video is something that I would really like to have that is why I was thinking my choices were a little limited. Thanks again!

I think every camera mentioned can record video too. Please note that video on DSLRs has issues. Firstly, I have yet to see a DSLR that can autofocus for video, so you will be manually adjusting focus the whole time. Second, there's the "jello" effect - see how the monitors distort when the camera is moved quickly? Just about all current DSLR video looks like this. If you're happy to work around these problems then, of the Canon camera's mentioned, I think the T2i would be the best choice.

To finish, you'd have to try hard to buy a bad DSLR. You will find all of these cameras are owned, used (and defended vigorously! :lol:) on this forum As KP007 mentioned, the real cost is in the lenses and this is what ties you to a manufacturer when you come to upgrade the body.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back