Looking for Entry Level DSLR

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by SAPierce2006, Jun 23, 2009.

1. SAPierce2006

SAPierce2006 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey guys, I recently bought a Canon G10, and it was much too noisy for me. I couldn't do much with the RAWs (especially low light), without a ton of noise popping up. Instead of messing around with it, I sold it and got back what I put in. Now I'm looking for an Entry Level DSLR, that I'm hoping will give me higher level photos.

So I was hoping for some direction on cameras that are good quality, that I could take around everywhere with me, and would give me good quality pictures. My buddy set my eye on a Canon XTi. Figured I'd ask and get some opinions before I just went and bought a camera willy nilly. I'm a little dissapointed the XTi is only 10mp, but maybe I'm being too picky. I was told that it has better quality pixels so that will compensate some, and also "anything over 10mp is overkill". So I don't know. I'm trying to get something used, and would need lenses and everything with it. I'd like to not spend over $500, and would be more comfortable ~$400. Thanks!

2. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    For high ISO performance I think you'll be spending about double that, but I'm only familiar with the Nikon line. The D40 isn't too bad, but I'd go with a D5000 or D90 if you can save a little more or sell some stuff :)

I think most of the used stuff in your price range will be an older generation of camera. I'd recommend the D40 for your price range, the upper ISO isn't great but it is definitely acceptable. Only downside is that it will only auto focus on newer AF-S lenses, however you can pick up a new 35mm f/1.8 for about $200, that would be a great combo (depending on your needs).

D90 @ 1800 ISO - D5000 should be similar.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  3. NateS

NateS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If your budget is 400-500 (including lens) then you don't really get the luxury of being picky about high iso performance and features. It basically comes down to which company's entry level DSLR you want.

Megapixel's don't mean a thin 99% of the time...so stop worrying about that. I printed a 16x24 with a 6.1mp DSLR and it looked better than it did on the computer screen....I'd feel safe printing 6.1mp at 20x30 to be honest....10mp??? Plenty for nearly anybody unless you're are printing billboards.

4. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The 10mp thing is good depending on the size of the sensor.
    A P&S has a small sensor, so anything over 10mp is actually going to adversely affect ISO and low light shots. But on a full frame sensor, 10mp is not alot.

The XTI won't give you that much of a difference in low light than your G10. It will be somewhat better, but not amazing. Good high ISO performance is something that is usually found in high end pro cameras, not entry level. Its a step up, but not a huge one.

Your lens will also have a big impact on low light shooting.

5. SAPierce2006

SAPierce2006 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well I'd like something that I could use in all kinds of light. Ideally I'd be carrying this camera around with me everywhere, light and low light.

As for the low light high iso deal, I was actually using iso 200, and when I brightened the picture in the least, instantly oodles of noise came with very little change.

The reason I'm getting the camera is to edit photos in photoshop. It makes sense to me that the more pixels I have to work with, the better. However I was surprised with how little I could zoom in on a picture taken at 14 mp with the canon g10, and still get a usable picture. Often I don't use the full picture. I end up using a portion of the picture. It's possible that the pixel quality on the G10 was just so poor that I could only get so much of a usable picture (I would like to know if this is true or not), but I'm afraid if I get a 6MP camera that shoots really high quality, I'm going to be very limited in what I can do as far as using portions of pictures.

Now that you know my use, what would you recomend? No I'm not going to be taking purely low light pictures, but I do enjoy taking photos in low light settings.

You might get me to spend $600, but never $1000. I often pick up hobbies and then find they were just a fad for me, and while I do occasionally fall in love with doing things (and I have consistently loved photoshop), I don't want to invest too much money in something that I might give up doing, and I don't want to pay for a camera that I can't sell in a few months for the same amount that I paid for it. On the other hand, if I get something that isn't going to give me the results that I want in situations, then I'm not going to enjoy doing it anyways, so there is a balance I'd like to find. Help :-( I'm clueless. lol

6. SAPierce2006

SAPierce2006 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm looking into the D90 and D5000. I might be able to afford those used, depending on how much they sell for.

What's the difference between Nikon or Canon? I for some reason was trying to stick to the Canon side. I don't know what I'm talking about though.

7. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If I were you I'd go to a store that sells both (such as Best Buy), then pick each brand up and see which feels better and which layout feels better to you.

Make your brand decision based on that... either one will allow you to capture the moments, but if you don't like using it - you won't.

8. SAPierce2006

SAPierce2006 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm not so concerned with the product use, as long as I can take over and use manual controls. I'm more worried about the final product. What's going to get me the best overall pictures at a good price ~500 used in the next month or so.

9. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Equivilent Nikon's and Canon's are essentially identical as far a shape and controls layout. Since humans are supremely adaptable and have opposing thumbs I think the feel and layout method of choosing a camera is a canard.

If you're not choosing a camera based on technical specifications, it doesn't matter what brand you get. Flip a coin.

Go to www.dxomark.com and compare image quality tests by an independent testing lab.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  10. NateS

NateS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Every single DSLR on the market today gives you the choice of having full manual control (over aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc..). If that is truly the only thing that you care about then just go out and buy the cheapest DSLR you can find.

If the above is true, it honestly doesn't matter which brand or model you go with. You can choose from Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus, Sony, etc......flip a coin like said above (but you'll need a 5-6 sided coin).....maybe start a thread with the title "Where can I buy a 5-6 sided coin?".

11. SAPierce2006

SAPierce2006 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I meant that I don't care about the layout. I can get used to any layout, as long I have access to above said controls. I only care about the final product that I can take to photoshop. Meaning I care about the quality of pictures it takes above anything else.

12. NateS

NateS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, in that case, all the above once again. If equally skilled photographers took a photo with each of the five brands I posted above (with equal glass) you nor I would be able to tell a single difference in the quality.

In reality, the Glass you attach to the front of the camera is what's going to make the difference in quality. Take a D40 with 24-70 f2.8 attached and you'll get better picture quality than a D90/D300 with a kit lens. So, as was said before, go play with them and see which "layout" you like best because in terms of quality, there is not much different between the entry level camera body from all companies DSLR's.

Maybe you should check into what kind of glass you'd want and see about compatability and availability. Canon and Nikon are most popular for two reasons....1. People who don't know any better always hear those as the most populars, and 2. The people who do know better like the fact that there is a lot more lens choices with these two than with the other's.