looking for equipment

Discussion in 'The Darkroom' started by NegativeEffect15, Feb 26, 2005.

1. NegativeEffect15

NegativeEffect15 TPF Noob!

I'm thinking of making myself a darkroom, so can i get a list of items ill need and some good equip and good prices

2. KevinR

KevinR TPF Noob!

Thats kind of a tall order, but I just started putting a darkroom together.

Enlarger: What kind? Thats what I had to ask. I went with an Omega c700. Nice so far, but haven't started printing yet. Have used the Bessler 23C II for awhile. I like these but because they are one of the most popular, people seem to hunt these up. I bought my enlarger on ebay. Have had good luck going this route. You will need a lens, neg carrier, timer, and to make your life easier, a good easel.

You will need a light safe area, and install a safe light or two, depending on your room. This can be as simple as a screw in safe light.

Water source and drain will be helpful.

Then the chemicals and trays. Need minimum 4 trays, I like 11X14, but I don't go above that in enlargement.

You will need to set up an area for drying. Can be as simple as a nylon screen spread between a small span.

then the various other things: Tongs, grain focuser, squigee, the items for developing b&w film if your going to do that, paper and maybe a safe for the paper.

Please add other things I have forgotten.

3. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

We've had several threads with full lists of equipment, try a forum search.

4. snowboard100dps

snowboard100dps TPF Noob!

5. Paul Ron

Paul Ron TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
  6. Fisheye

Fisheye TPF Noob!

Looking for equipment for a darkroom...
    A good place to start is with the enlarger. Lots of B&W enlargers out there, however I'd recommend choosing one with a color head instead of a condensor (white light only) head. They're easier to use with the variable-contrast papers that are out there. No filters to handle. Just turn a dial, etc. This way you don't have to buy several boxes of paper to have on hand for use with more or less contrasty negs. Someone recommended an Omega C700. Excellent choice. I used one for seven years doing both color and B&W studio work.
    Right now is an excellent time to install a darkroom. Thanks to Digital, equipment has never been more affordable!
    One more thing - Don't overlook a good ventilation system. AT ANY COST!
    Take care of your lungs first. After spending 16 years in the dark I can definately tell the difference in my breathing....