Looking for first camera

Droxium

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've recently taken an interest in photography and would like to purchase my first camera. I'm looking for an all around good camera, not for specific reasons. I've been leaning toward the Nikon D5300. Would prefer if it was below $800 but can exceed.

Nice little camera the D5300. They are now up to the D5500 so there should be some good prices available on the D5300. My brother bought the D5100 new and it's still working good, that now sells refurbished for under $500 with a lens. I like the extra features on the D7100 (price may drop if the D7200 comes out in the next few months).

I started with the D5100 when I moved into the DSLR format. I was doing film photography back in the late 70's starting with a Pentax K1000 but I digress. The D5xxx series is a great starting point which is just enough for you to start in the basics learning the craft.

A D5200 (Refurbished) body - $500 add a refurbished AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR for an additional $210 and that puts you right into the game and on your budget. The other option would be to pair the D5200 Refurbished body with a AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR $1300 (new) $1000 (used, like new condition). The only reason I bring that up is the 24-120 has a great range and will work with the DX sensor as well as an FX sensor so it will grow with you. It would bump up your budget but it's worth mentioning especially if you are not in a hurry.

I was able to find a bundle including all of this for $649. Is this a good deal? Would it be better to invest a little and buy the D5300 or should I start off with this bundle instead?
  • D5200 Digital SLR Camera (Body Only, Red)
  • 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Autofocus Lens
  • 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Autofocus Lens
  • 2.5X Telephoto and 0.45X Super Wide Angle High Definition Lens Set
  • JumpStart Training Guide on DVD for Digital SLR Photography
  • 16GB SDHC/SDXC Class 10 UHS-1 R40 Memory Card
  • EN-EL14A Rechargable Li-ion Battery
  • 52mm UV, Polarizer & FLD Deluxe Filter kit (set of 3 + carrying case)
  • High Speed mini-HDMI to HDMI A/V Cable 6 Feet
  • Hi-Speed SD USB 2.0 Card Reader

^^
Not bad, but the D5200 in red color? nah... I don't like it in red... If you like it, go ahead, otherwise look for the traditional black version.
Also, note that the lenses version are not VR (Vibration Reduction function). The red color and non-VR lenses is what make this price tag atractive here.

^^
D5200 in red color? nah... I don't like it in red... If you like it, go ahead, otherwise look for the traditional black version.
Also, note that the lenses version are not VR.
Yeah, I don't really prefer the red either. I'll see if I can find a similar deal in black.

Hmm... Neither one of those deals mentions the download cable. Make sure that is included with either one.

The 1st one is cheaper for a reason: a great camera (D5200) with two low quality non-VR leneses (and some extra gadgets). The 2nd one is more expensive for a reason: an equally great camera (D5300) with a great lens (the newer 18-55mm VR-II).

As both cameras are good enough, I'd focus on the best lens to come with it. Lenses are always more important than the camera. In time, you will eventually change your camera and keep your leneses. Because of that, between these two options, I'd go with the D5300 + 18-55mm VR-II lens.

Do you want to do it right? Buy this:
  • Nikon D5200 Digital SLR Camera (Body Only, Black) [$474.95]
  • Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II DX Lens [$246.95]
  • SanDisk 32GB Extreme UHS-I U3 SDHC Memory Card (Class 10) [$21.99]
  • 1 extra EN-EL14A Li-Ion Battery [$39.95]
  • TOTAL = $783.84
And you save to buy this other lens in the future:
  • Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G Lens [$496.95]
You won't regreat!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Consider refurbished instead of new for both the body and the lens. You can really stretch your budget that way and you can still get the 1 year warranty if you shop around. BH, Adorama or Cameta are great sources of refurbished gear.

I have the D5300 and upgraded to get it with the 18-140mm zoom lens. It's a crop-sensor camera so the lens is a 27-210mm equivalent. That range is really very versatile as is the camera. Still photos and HD video with good range in ISO, speed, etc.
It does require lenses with their own focus motor (-S) in the name. The live view screen can be rotated so the camera can be held in different places to get a good shot. You can hold it high or low or frame the shot when you're standing in front of the camera. I also like it that the sensor for the wireless trigger is front and back, not just in the front like a D80 and others.
The D7100 is a bit more expensive and has different features, like a built in focus motor, but the same sensor inside.

D5200, D5300 and D5500 are three amazing options. You cannot go wrong with any of them.

I have a D5200 myself, and am very happy with it, even when disputing attention with my D810. Here are some sample shots of my D5200.
Those are nice photos I've started a project on kick starter "through my eyes (Chicago) and soon hope to have that Nikon I've heard and read nothing but good things. I'm a beginner and posts life those help. Thanks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back