Looking For Good Upgrade Portrait Lens From Kit

RickyD

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello!

I'm going to be getting myself a Canon EOS Rebel T5i soon. It comes with the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens. I really want to take some great portraits and was wondering which lens, without breaking the bank, would be best to upgrade to?

I am also hoping someone here might be able to tell me if one of my older lenses would work with this camera. It is a Tamron 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 Tele-Macro (1:2).

I've never used a dSLR that does video and was also curious if I need to pay specific attention to lenses that are compatible in regards to video.

Thanks!

Hello!

I'm going to be getting myself a Canon EOS Rebel T5i soon. It comes with the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens. I really want to take some great portraits and was wondering which lens, without breaking the bank, would be best to upgrade to?

I am also hoping someone here might be able to tell me if one of my older lenses would work with this camera. It is a Tamron 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 Tele-Macro (1:2).

I've never used a dSLR that does video and was also curious if I need to pay specific attention to lenses that are compatible in regards to video.

Thanks!

it will probably work but the newer IS and STM lens work better with video
For portraits look at the 50mm 1.8 STM or 100mm 2.8

Canon ef 85 f1.8

Hello!

Thanks!

it will probably work but the newer IS and STM lens work better with video
For portraits look at the 50mm 1.8 STM or 100mm 2.8

Oh that's good to know. I can't imagine I will be using this lens for video. I have it really just for getting those really far shots of landscapes/wildlife.

For the price, the newer STM 50 f/1.8 is impossible to beat and pretty much a must have for almost every Canon shooter. With your crop sensor, it would do great for portraits as well. For a bit more money, the 85mm f/1.8 is a great portrait lens too. With my 70D, I have used the 100mm f/2.8 macro for portraits with great success as well...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back