Looking for Guidance on Shooting with Single SB-700 Speedlight - Images Included

PeK77

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Over the past 2 nights, I've been shooting a few pics to begin to learn how to use my SB-700. I was working based on a post from another forum that described Scott Robert Lim's technique (see link: Crazy Stupid Light - Digital Grin Photography Forum ). I attempted to duplicate the setup in the first paragraph but could not get the background to be black. Is this because the walls are not black? Is it because my ceiling is white and casting reflection?

I've posted a test pic with hopes that somebody might have advice (the Care Bear). I was set at 100 ISO, F 5.6 and 200 speed.

I've also included a shot from last night. I used the same settings (with the same results) but used Photoshop to black out the background and touch up my son. I would much prefer to get great exposure straight out of the camera and flash. Should I be moving the flash from side to side? Forward or backwards? Any CC on that one is appreciated (touch ups are a bit heavy for my taste but the lady wanted them in there). Thanks in advance! I get limited time with work and the kids to figure this stuff out after hours and these forums certainly help!

Attachments

• $Black.jpg
    $Black.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
What light modifiers are you using, if any? Looks like you're having spillover from your flash illuminating your background. Try more distance between the subject and the background, and more of a downward angle with your flash. There are a few decent youtube videos on getting black backgrounds OTC using a single flash.

Last edited:
What light modifiers are you using, if any? Looks like you're having spillover from your flash illuminating your background. Try more distance between the subject and the background, and more of a downward angle with your flash.

Hi PJL, no modifiers on my flash at all. Is there something that would shield the flash or focus it more tightly on the subject?

Check out strobist.com and do some reading through his "lighting 101" guide. Lots of good beginner info there.

Jake

You want your flash (with a modifier) close to the subject and your subject far from the background.

Light "falls off" at about a stop every time you double the distance from the light to the source. So if your flash is close to the subject but far from the background, voila - black (unlit) background.

Check out this article on strobist:

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/06/lighting-102-12-position-distance.html?m=1

Hi PJL, no modifiers on my flash at all. Is there something that would shield the flash or focus it more tightly on the subject?

One thing at a time, I would say. Eventually you'll want to check your camera and flash manuals for how to use the Nikon CLS to get your flash off-camera. After that, adding a modifier like an umbrella (or even just aiming at a wall or sheet of paper) will soften the shadows and make for a more pleasing look to the light.

Definitely read the Strobist 101 stuff though.

One thing at a time, I would say. Eventually you'll want to check your camera and flash manuals for how to use the Nikon CLS to get your flash off-camera. After that, adding a modifier like an umbrella (or even just aiming at a wall or sheet of paper) will soften the shadows and make for a more pleasing look to the light.

Definitely read the Strobist 101 stuff though.

The flash was off camera for this one - on a stand about 6-8 ft away with no umbrella. Zoom was set to 35mm.

The flash was off camera for this one - on a stand about 6-8 ft away with no umbrella. Zoom was set to 35mm.

Gotcha. Sorry I'm browsing from my phone and it looked on-axis. My apologies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back