Looking for info on an image I own

photojunky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.onlinephotogallery.com
Does anyone know the history behind this image, who, what, where, when, and why? I bought it at an estate sale. It is in color slide form. Written on it is 1942. Is this accurate?

Image106e.jpg

Moved to the General Photo discussion, you might get more replies here. Good luck with your info hunt!

thats interesting it looks like the tomb of the unknown soldier in DC but I see a beach behind it maybe a memorial on Normandy beach? D DAY?

The thing that looks strange is it almost looks like tomb is in front of a background shadows on the left make it look like its in front of a false background.

It's very possible that someone took that picture back then. I don't know much about it but there is a program on tv called history detectives (usually on pbs) that will look up things like that.
Here's their website.

Here's some information on the Tomb of the Unknowns.

It looks to me like the shot was made not taken I don't know why I feel that. Maybe because the person looks ghostly. It is a cool shot I would hold onto it and get a large print of it made. I would also talk to some one at Arlington to see it they know anything about it or want it display it.

I don't think it's his shadow, I think it's his silhouette. If it was his shadow you wouldn't be able to see the end of the gun. If this IS his shadow, then it's a fake background.

nikon90s said:
It looks to me like the shot was made not taken I don't know why I feel that. Maybe because the person looks ghostly. It is a cool shot I would hold onto it and get a large print of it made.

I don’t think it was made because there is nothing in the photo that would lead me to believe this. Let me know what you see. I have blown it up to 13x19, (Nikon Coolscan 8000 & Epson 2200P) and it looks good, although you can see a little grain. Back then the film was slow so that would explain the movement of the soldier. Also, the soldier appears to be a shadow because he is in a shadow. You can see the shadow on the sidewalk. It's a cool shot, wish I took it but that would make me very old.

nikon90s said:
I don't know why I feel that.

like I posted before I do like the shot and I Don't know why I feel like it was make!! but to me it looks made but if is it a shot Dang it is cool.

It is the solider silhouette you see. The contrast between the tomb and the solider is provided by the Lee house (might be a different name but was their house atleast). The background is Washington DC itself. The white or beach like area is the edge of the Potomac waterfront.

/edit
Forgot to inlcude this different view of the Tomb
http://www.arlingtoncemetery.org/images/above_scenes/images/image_23.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back