Looking for lens advice please

john sherratt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm going to be buying either a used Nikon D7000 or D7100. And seen a tamron 28-75 f2.8 for sale. I'm thinking it would be a good lens for landscapes would this lens be a good pairing to one of these bodies?

Nope not a good lens for a d7000 or d7100. Foremost, the 28-75 Tamron lens isn't sharp enough for modern sensors... And on a crop camera that becomes an even bigger issue. Secondly, 28-75 is a bad range on crop (wide end is restricted).

I would recommend you go with the d7100.

I use a Sigma 17-70 on my 7100. Bought both used/refurb and very happy with them.

I know of one user here who own the Tamron 28-75mm and he loves it, I heard good things of it as a very affordable fast full frame lens.
For landscape on a crop sensor body I would actually recommend the Sigma 17-50mm 2.8
And I would also recommend not to get the D7000 and would direct you to get the D7100
I owned both cameras and the D7100 is better, has a better sensor, has better auto focus system and from what I know is more reliable.

I have a Tamron 28-75 2.8 I shoot with a D600. It's more than sharp enough for a modern sensor, in fact it's a fantastic lens.

However for landscapes on crop sensor a 17-50 might be a better fit. I've owned the tamron 17-50 and it was also a great lens. I've heard a lot of very positive things from the folks that have the sigma as well

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Owned a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 and loved it on a d7000, d7100, and d600.

Plenty sharp enough for nikons 24mp full frame and crop sensors. It's not very wide on a crop frame, bit it's all dependant on what you want to shoot with it. I used it for a lot of portrait work, as well as weddings.

You might need something wider for landscspes. I also had a sigma 17-35 f2.8-4 that was pretty nice, and was a full frame lens. If you go crop frame there are more fast zoom options.

I also have a D600 and a Tamron 28-75. While the lens is not as sharp as my Sigma 50 1.4, it is more than enough for most users, I'd say.

Here it is at 75mm...

secondtakecake-3.jpg

I would agree that maybe a 17-50 or the 17-70mm lens (loved it on my SL1) might be a better standard zoom focal length range for a crop sensor though.

On a side note, I'm accidentally following right in Medic's footsteps -- I also have the 17-35mm Sigma, haha.

The problem is that these are DX format cameras. A 28-75 won't provide wide angle coverage on a DX camera. You should be looking for a DX wide angle lens such as 12-24 or so. These are available from Nikon or other manufacturers and they are all quite good. I have both the 7000 and the 7100. I use the Nikkor 12-24 f2.8. It is the priciest one but the less expensive ones will do a fine job for you.

Don't mistake me. Landscapes are shot with lenses of every focal length imaginable. But I'm thinking you are looking for the wide angle end of things. The 28-75 will work fine with these cameras. It just won't provide a wide angle view.

An FX or full frame lens on a Nikon DX camera will only use the portion of the full size projected image circle that illuminates the smaller DX image sensor.
In effect, one would only be using the central portion of the FX lens which is usually where the focus is going to be the sharpest.

But not all makes/models of lens are created equal, and many of the less expensive camera maker and 3rd party lenses have image quality issues of one sort or another.

So I should look into getting the tamron 17-50 to go with the 7100. There is a SP AF 17-50 2.8 quite cheap on my local kijiji.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back