Looking for location for Automotive shoot near DC

Pics to follow. I chose the top of the Vienna Metro South parking garage.

Pics to follow. I chose the top of the Vienna Metro South parking garage.
I'll be interested in seeing the photos. And how did the location work out for you--any hassles from Metro security?

Location worked out perfectly. This was saturday night. there were almost no cars in the whole structure since it was a weekend and it's primarily a commuter spot. There was no security and the lot was free, it was also so close to my friend's place you could practically see his house. Timing was perfect right at sunset and the sky was really dramatic and beautiful. I've processed 2 shots so far. The one from the front of the car was a single frame no strobes just touching up in LR. The second from behind was 9 shots automatically HDR'd with enfuse. one strobe in each shot. I played with the file for about an hour last night manually layering them but this enfuse version looked the best. so I sweetened it up a bit to really make it pop.
DSC_0034_enfuse-2.jpg
DSC_0057-Edit-Edit.jpg

octobox or just an umbrella?

Just an umbrella. I was traveling on the train so I didn't want to bring my big 60" softlighter. What would have been nice would have been a rectangle box but I don't have one that shape. it was so windy up there too maybe 20mph or so so my friend was walking around with the umbrella and it was getting really hard to hold.

First of all, thanks for sharing the experience. If you come down again, I've got another parking garage option for you that is a bit further away (probably 15 minutes) but is even better than what you shot with at Vienna. There are planters on the side (so some green shrubs) plus better huts for the stairs.

Second, nice work. I find the light poles distracting in the second photo (and that's the challenge of using the top of a parking deck. The reflection on the right rear fender in the 1st shot is also a small thing I'd correct. But frankly, I'd expect #1 to appear in a glossy car ad somewhere. Lovely stuff.

Yeah as we were leaving the lights on top came on. I was wondering if they would help or not. I've seen lots of different things and this was largely an experimentation session since I don't know anything about car photography other than what I've seen on youtube videos lol. I love the low, wide angle perspective I think it is very aggressive and dramatic. The sky really helped.

next time, invite me out.

nice work. the sky does indeed sell that shot, I'm going to have to experiment with some of that myself now, thanks for the inspiration! I love the effect the strobe gives, I'm going to have to invest in some lighting gear next, because I see my own work heading this direction. love it.

Most reactions

Back