Looking for low shutter-lag, high-ISO, wide-angle camera w/adjustable fill flash

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by dougkramer, Sep 20, 2009.

1. dougkramer

dougkramer TPF Noob!

I have a Canon SD870 IS point and shoot and would like to move up a step.

REQUIREMENTS: (most important first)
    Require low shutter lag, very good high-ISO images (say, 5000 ISO), easy aperture priority control for portraits, adjustable-power fill flash, and wide-angle lens (28-90mm equiv).

OPTIONAL:
    Need not have a mirror; electronic viewfinder or live view is fine. Don't need a removable lens. Would like 3" or larger LCD. Want small size, though that's the least important criteria (need not fit in pocket).

I'm willing to spend $1500 (incl. lens).

Ideas? I've been looking at Canon G10, Olympus E-P1, Sigma DP-1, and Panasonic GH-1, but none seem to quite fit the bill.

2. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    You're right. None of them fit the bill.

You need an SLR.

$1500 will get you a decent entry level body with a few good lenses.

Small size isn't going to happen though, not small like you're used to anyway.

Everything you're looking for (except for size) is screaming SLR.

I know almost nothing about Nikon bodies, so I will let someone else comment on that - but the Canon Rebel line would probably be a good start for you.

3. JamesMason

JamesMason TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Good advice above, take a look at the nikon d40. 5k iso from any camera is a little optomistc tho. What are you going to be shooting ?

4. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

5. Dwig

Dwig TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You seem to be looking for a camera with an overall fast response time and not specifically "low shutter lag" since the micro4/3rds models you list both have very low shutter lag. You requirement seems to include focus speed in the equation. If true, it rules out all P&S models and either of the other two m4/3 models. As technology stands today, you're going to be limited to a DSLR.

If you are considering Nikon, the D3000 is the current "most compact" model to consider. The older D60 model is of some consideration as long as it remains on dealer's shelves, though the D3000 has an improved AF system and a 3" LCD. The old D60 and its predecessors, the D40 & D40x, don't meet your 3" LCD requirement. If you want the best high-ISO performance in a reasonably small package then look at the Nikon D5000. It uses the same class sensor and support logic as the D90, D300, and D300s and delivers one of the best high-ISO results at DXOmark of any of the "crop sensor" DSLRs.

6. Antithesis

Antithesis No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with the D5000 or D90. They both fit the bill for what you want. Oh, and the only cameras right now that really have a usable ISO 6400 (close to 5000) are Nikons full-frame bodies, and those are way above your price range. If you come down to say... ISO 3200 though, the D300/D90/D5000 sensor is probably adequate.

7. nipsip

nipsip TPF Noob!

Good news, you do not need to spend $1500.

If you are looking for the low light champ (prior to the d300), then it is the Nikon d50, not the d40 or d60. You should be able to pick one up for ~$250 and the AF-S DX 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 kit lens that came with the d200 for ~$100. For $350 you have an unbeatable camera and lens.

If you want to go compact, the low light champ is still the Fujifilm f31fd which is out of production, but available on ebay for about the same amount.

Don't be fooled by the low price of the lens or camera, the d50 is a far better camera than the d40 or d60 for three reasons. Low light champ (high ISO with little noise), can use all Nikon AF lenses (focus motor is in camera), and the d50 has 5 autofocus points, two more than the d40 or d60.

Note that the lens is a very fast lens f/4.5 not f5.6 and it is very, very sharp.

Of course if you have to, buy the d90, but it is not needed.

8. Hobbes

Hobbes TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think there are only a few DSLRs out there that would meet your requirements and they all cost at least 1000 bucks more than you are willing to pay... I think the best you could get for 1500 bucks is probably D300 or D90. Don't waste time on looking at those compact cameras course their high iso performances are worse than poopy :D