looking for monopod

antelope555

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Going to the Grand canyon to hike and am looking for a good monopod and head. Any suggestions on brand, style? trying to stay in a moderate price range.
thank you
antelope555

Never used them but there are walking sticks and hiking staffs (some quiet high tech..with carbon fibre. etc ) that can be used as a monopod. The grip is removable to reveal a thread mount for your camera. For long hiking trips, like the grand canyon, you wanna pack functional but light. Multifunction items are the best way to go. Bogen and Gitzo all have great monopods but no where near as functional in a hiking trip as a a hiking staff nor as light.

For me... I"d probably go with something like this:
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/st...toreId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&feat=ssdpa9916

with a bogen swivel tilt head or rubber flex head in my pocket.

I'm actually been planning on getting something like above as I have very very unstable ankles and tend to sprain them during even the shortest photography trips. The gear I have to carry just makes it worse.

Sorry... Beg to differ... I have that exact monopod ( I though it would make a good walking stick too). It doesn't work well as a walking stick. I'm putting it on ebay if I don't find anyone locally.

It extends when you don't want it to... I wish they designed it that the monopod will lock completely if the grip is not depressed. As you walk.... the bottom shaft tends to slip down making the monopod slightly longer and longer... After a while its too long to be a comfortable walking stick. You then have to depress the grip and push it down to get it back to the length you originally started out with. Furthermore, at 17.60lbs you will grow very tired carrying it on long hikes.

On long hikes.. especially with the problems I have... you'll want something that does a better job at being a walking stick than a monopod.

That's amazing since it weighs 1.19 lbs. 17.6 lbs it the weight capacity, or IOW you can shoot a 400 5.6 in low light with stability to spare.

To each their own, but my Bogen has never loosened unless I loosened it.

LWW

Most reactions

Back