Looking for New Glass once again

N1kon1k

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hey guys saved a little and wanted to finish my collection of lenses with a 14 mm

I shoot with a D750 and was wondering what are everyone's thought on the Rokinon 14mm F2.8?

From what I read the Rokinon, Samyang, and Vivitar it depends on who on the line made it. Some people get very good examples and others get clunkers. But the ones that are good, people swear they are great lenses. And I have seen very good pictures from them. But the quality is hit or miss apparently. So, be prepared to test as soon as you get it. And prepare to return one or maybe 2 of them??

Lensrentals.com scared me away from the SamyBowiRokiVivi lenses! Lensrentals.com are the ones that used that odd name, or something like it, for the Samyang,Rokinon,Bower,Vivitar lenses (same lenses, marked with different retail names for different markets and different distribution chains across the globe). Apparently, at one time a few years back, the Lensrentals.com folks were having breakdowns and malfunctions within WEEKS with those lenses, at a terrible rate...realllllllllly poor reliability. Quality Control probs, etc..

There were a lot of reports of very GOOD optics at low prices, but also a lot of reports of early breakdowns on these lenses, and so a couple years ago, I just stopped paying attention to these lenses. I dunno...still...tempting I suppose, especially if one is willing to take the chance of a terrifically sharp lens at low cost, compared to a camera-maker 14mm at hugely higher cost and higher long-term reliability chance.

I have one. I'm saving up to replace it. It has incredible amounts of barrel distortion. It reminds me of the wide angle lenses of the 1960's.

Hum Interesting to hear.... thanks everyone... I been looking for a while and from a previous post between the Rokinnon 14mm and the Nikon 20mm i acutually followed everyone's opinions and decided to buy the Tamron 15-30.... I was hoping to go with the Nikon 14-24 but after so many articles I chose the 15-30 which it will be pretty close to the 14mm initially... this lens is heavy as hell though... definitely a lens to be sitting on the tripod

Hum Interesting to hear.... thanks everyone... I been looking for a while and from a previous post between the Rokinnon 14mm and the Nikon 20mm i acutually followed everyone's opinions and decided to buy the Tamron 15-30.... I was hoping to go with the Nikon 14-24 but after so many articles I chose the 15-30 which it will be pretty close to the 14mm initially... this lens is heavy as hell though... definitely a lens to be sitting on the tripod

Maybe we can compare. I recently picked up a Nikon 14-24.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back