Looking for next lense?

snoword

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know that I want my next lens to be a zoom lens. But not sure if it should be a 200mm or 300mm. I currently have a 18-55mm and was wondering if I should buy a 18-200mm to narrow down the number of lens changes.

Not sure what the trade offs are if I was to do this.

Also, does anyone ever rent lenses before they buy.

(Camera is a D60)

Thanks

Last edited:
It depends on two things: (a) What type of photography you do, and (b) how much money you want to spend. If you want to post a little about those two factors, then maybe we can help with some recommendations.

Again I agree with Tirediron. I depends on what results you are looking for and how much you are willing to spend on what's important to you. An 18-200mm lens is a fantastic walk-around lens, but won't produce professional results though. I own this lens myself and I really do love it's flexibility, but you sacrifice quality. I used to shoot Olympus with 14-45mm & 50-150mm kit lenses (I think) and I was constantly swapping lenses all the time.

I am not quite sure what type of photography i like because i am so new. But so far I like landscape and closeups.

~400 is my budget but want to make sure i am getting something i will be happy with over time.

400 dollars or pounds? That makes a big difference.

If dollars, then there isn't much you can get, perhaps a cheap Tamron lens like the Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II lens. However, this is very cheap, so quality will suffer quite a bit. Also, this is a rather "slow" lens (meaning that it will take a longer shutter speed to create a "proper" exposure than a "fast" lens like an f/2.8), even to the point that, at the far end of the lens, your camera might not be able to autofocus. Try it out in a shop before you even think about buying it. Take test shots and look at them on a screen, print some cropped photos out, etc, to test the lens' sharpness and colour saturation. Also, unless the lens has an in-body focus motor, autofocusing will not happen at all.

If it's £ you're talking about, then your options open up a bit, but not much. The Nikon AF-S 18-200 f/3.5-5.6 VR lens is quite possibly the best super-zoom lens out there, but it carries a hefty price tag, £428 to be precise. Quality is actually fairly good, and the f/5.6 maximum aperture at 200mm and the AF-S model means your camera will definitely autofocus with it. Vibration Reduction also helps when shooting wide-angle in low light, or telephoto in dwindling light.

However, all of these lenses are not as good as buying two different lenses that add up to the same price. There will be more distortion, worse results at the extremes of the lens (very wide-angle and long telephoto), and are quite slow lenses.

But as a "quick fix" to the swapping lenses problem, those two are good. Just make sure you are happy with the results they produce before buying anything. Enjoy!

It's 400 dollars, quickly being able to buy less for $400 in the status :)

Big difference in price but wht is the correct choice. I have a 18-55mm kit lens. Is the 18-200 worth the money.

Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens = $670

vs.

Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR Zoom Nikkor Lens = 219

Do you like your, Sigma 55-200mm f/4-5.6 lens

It's 400 dollars, quickly being able to buy less for $400 in the status :)

Big difference in price but wht is the correct choice. I have a 18-55mm kit lens. Is the 18-200 worth the money.

Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens = $670

vs.

Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR Zoom Nikkor Lens = 219

You already have an 18-55, no point getting the 18-200 unless you're too lazy to change a lens and want to pay more for less quality in an "all-in-one"(quoted for a reason).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back