"Looking for Photographer to work for free"

-------------

Last edited:
That's just like getting a construction worker to do the job for free, for publicity or experience. If everyone did that, that would destroy the business of actual Professionals. Why should photographers be any different. Just don't do it.

I wish I would known about that when I was a kid. Maybe things would be different for me if I were young today--I can see it now.

"Sorry Nanna, but you'll have to pay me and pay me well, or hire a pro to mow your lawn, cover your air cooler and chop wood for the winter. Sorry- I hope your stimulus check comes so you can put an ad in the pennysaver and get someone out there before it gets too cold. Brrrr, good luck with that.."

That's just like getting a construction worker to do the job for free, for publicity or experience. If everyone did that, that would destroy the business of actual Professionals. Why should photographers be any different. Just don't do it.

With respect, construction worker's don't have portfolios

A better analagy would be a musician, and many do play for free when they`re starting out.

-------------

Last edited:

A better analagy would be a musician, and many do play for free when they`re starting out.

A good point, professional photographers are not scouring craigslist to find their clients, nor are construction workers, or doctors and lawyers for that matter. Whatever your business may be, your clients should find you. If you need to search the want adds to find clients then you are doing something wrong.

"I really hurt my back, I'm looking for a chiropractor to do a back adjustment. I want a professional but I really don't have much money so, I will let you put me down as a reference in exchange for your work. This is a great opportunity for the chiropractor just starting out, or maybe for a dentist looking to break into a new field. You must have a professional model back cracking table and at least one 580ex."

"Sorry Nanna, but you'll have to pay me and pay me well, or hire a pro to mow your lawn, cover your air cooler and chop wood for the winter. Sorry- I hope your stimulus check comes so you can put an ad in the pennysaver and get someone out there before it gets too cold. Brrrr, good luck with that.."

With all due respect, a kid isn't out to support a family. Also, there's a difference working for free for family as well.

Listen, the analogies don't work.

Are their times when shooting free can benefit everyone involved? OF COURSE.

Should companies expect it? NO.

It's a case by case basis, and that's the way it will remain.

Listen, the analogies don't work.

Are their times when shooting free can benefit everyone involved? OF COURSE.

Should companies expect it? NO.

It's a case by case basis, and that's the way it will remain.

Bingo. If a world famous magazine offered free publicity for free photos, I hardley see anyone in here saying no, so there's a level at which everyone in here would benefit from volunteer work, it's undeinable.

When I was a young rockstar, our band used to do gigs for free. Most of the time it led to another paying gig. :D

With all due respect, a kid isn't out to support a family. Also, there's a difference working for free for family as well.

It would have cracked Nanna up and I would have ended up going over there everyday for about a month. She was pretty cool and I would have ended up not minding the forced labor in the long run.

But anyway--With all due respect;

Most of us in this thread live in the U.S. so I'll put this in the terms I'm most familiar with. This is a free country. The beauty of that is we can have whatever dreams and expectations we want. We can ask any questions we want, and work for anybody we want for any price we want. We also have the right to refuse to do anything we want. It's nobody's business what goes on other than if these exchanges are legal. If you have suspicions, call law enforcement and let them investigate.

What you're asking is for is a break in competition--A change in our fundamental policies to accommodate your desires. Just because you have a need for money doesn't mean everyone should stand aside and let you have it. Now you have a right to ask everyone to, but really, it comes off as whinning.

This will only get worse. As more people get their hands on cameras, more people will try to make money off of their investments. It's human nature.

Speaking of nature, human or otherwise, it is about adaptation. The strongest or smartest doesn't always survive in the long run (actually they tend not to reproduce well). Nature goes with what works, the average and for the most part, the mediocre. Whatever changes the most readily. Very sad, but that's nature for you.

Photography is not a commodity. If you want to stay in the game, be aware of the changes and adapt to them rather than clinging to the way things were and wasting time trying to control something far larger than yourself. Realize your part and come to grips with either how you can compete in a positive fashion, change your direction or reinvent yourself--Adapt.

When I was a young rockstar, our band used to do gigs for free. Most of the time it led to another paying gig. :D

Heh, one of the first gigs one of the bands I was in in college did, we had to pay the venue up front PLUS they got a the larger cut of the door. We ended up paying to play that gig.

Six months later, gigs were paying all my bills.

When we gigged, there were so many bands here, that getting a gig was tough, so we took whatever we could to get our name out there. One night we took a gig, and they paid us with pizza and beer.., so guess which of the bands got the chicks. :lmao::lmao: Yup...the ones with the food and drink. The other bands went home with their hands. :lmao::lmao:
Hmm....I think Im going to try this with photography. :greenpbl:

Well today on our Craigslist I saw a college student offering free wedding photos. Me Id atleast have to get free beer and food. Of course I wouldnt shoot for Budwieser or, other cheap beer and, the photos may get a little wierd near the end of the reception.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back