Looking for prism finder/ meter for Hasselblad 500c/m ?

Luna44

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
thinking about buying a 500 c/m ? I want to know which prism finders work with this series? I am looking for prism and metering as well. Thank you. does the NC 2 come with metering capabilities?

The folks over at KEH are very knowledgable, and could probably set you up with everything you'll need. Great return policy if you're not happy or something is wrong. Worth a look!

NC-2 prism's are un-metered, the metered prisms need the brighter focusing screens to give best metering accuracy

The NC/2 Is unmetered

I have a 500C/M and have 4 of the major finders they made for it

The classic waist level flip up style is the best if you intend on going places with the camera as its by far the most low profile and least obtrusive. Of course since you are viewing the screen directly everything is backwards. Id say this is the one that spends 90% of the time on the camera. The magnifier on the waist level finder is great for focus checking.

I personally like the chimney style finder for landscape work. When out on a bright day it does a far better job of blocking out light than the flip up finder especially when using something like a two stop red filter etc. Depending on how you mount the camera on the tripod looking down into it is also the same with this one as the waist level.

The prim finders come in two flavors, metered and unmetered. In general the prisms are nice as they rectify the image.

I have a metered 45 degree prism (CDSPrisim) that I rarely use but is good when I need it. First and foremost its important to note that the 500C/M allows for a variety of screens to be installed. The metered prisms are POST-SCREEN and the various screens will allow different amounts of light through. To ensure proper operation you may need to adjust the meter compensation for the installed screen. I don't remember off hand which screen is intended to be the "zeroed" screen.

I also have the later series 45 degree unmetered prism (PM5). This one is a bit brighter and clearer than the metered one (the mirrors are different inside think) but its a solid unit. Great for studio portrait work. This finder also adds a cold shoe to the camera.

My one complaint I have with the prisms is they don't have diopter correction so if you wear glasses (like I do) you either need to remove the rubber angled cup for comfortable operation or wear contacts (as I often do when using a prism). Keep in mind the prisms also lack the magnifier of the waist level finder so focus must be more carefully considered.

As for compatibility my understanding is that anything made for the V series will fit. You can also use some of the stuff that was made for the Kiev cameras (Russian 'Blad copies). The metering on a 500C/M will be post screen with any of the metered finders.

You can find a lot of info on the V series accessories here

Last edited:
different diopter lenses are available for the prism finders to correct eyesight, you unscrew the eyepiece and then take the lens retainer ring out and swap the lens over.If you can't find the one you need or don't want to pay stupid money for it get a cheap pair of plastic lens glasses and cut one of the lenses down to fit.

@CarlH I know I can unscrew the CDSprisim eye piece but I think the PM5 is fixed in pace (ill check when I get home). For me contacts are generally the solution (or banding my glasses up against it).

The NC/2 Is unmetered

As for compatibility my understanding is that anything made for the V series will fit. You can also use some of the stuff that was made for the Kiev cameras (Russian 'Blad copies). The metering on a 500C/M will be post screen with any of the metered finders.

You can find a lot of info on the V series accessories here
Can you explain what you mean by “the metering will be post screen”?
I’m buying a Russian meter prism w/ battery adapter. Does this mean TTL metering?

Oh and, just google Hasselblad manuals. Or 500 series viewfinders. They are all great, just decide metered or non metered :)

Can you explain what you mean by “the metering will be post screen”?

What "post screen" means that meter sits behind the focusing screen and not in the unobscured optical path and that you need to take the screen into account when setting up the metered prisms on these cameras. In the case of the C and C/M's the light enters the lens is reflected off the mirror and up onto the focusing screen, then into the prism, and out to your eye. Since the C/M (and to a limited extent the C) allows for replaceable screens you as the user can install a variety of screens of different optical quality. Some allow more light through than others (the accute-matte being the brightest) as such the differences will need to be adjusted for in the meter. You may find documentation accompanying your screen and or meter but many may tell adjustment factors but you should solve the problem pragmatically through testing. According to hasselblad them selves:

"...The focusing screens occasionally call for a certain amount of compensation using the adjustment disk. Even here, the normal lens variation of +- 1/2 f/stop may reinforce or cancel out inaccuracy. Individual testing is required..."

Similar notes are made in the PM51 manual as well.

I’m buying a Russian meter prism w/ battery adapter. Does this mean TTL?

Yes it should.

For what its worth, if you already have the PM5 (based on your other threads) you may be better off investing in a good hand held meter. Meter tech has come a way since the various metered finders of this era were built. A hand held meter will giver you the flexibility of triggering a flash, going beyond the ISO range of many of the prisms, and reading out in possibly 1/3 stops. I find my self using my hand held meter a lot more than my metered prisms.

Most reactions

Back