Looking for real inexpensive large format transparancy scanner

sofasurfer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a couple hundred 8x10 (and a few 11x14) negatives. I want to scan then since I can not offord to send them out for printing. Whats a decent, CHEAP scanner that I can acquire.
Anyone got one they want to get rid of?
I can be reached at "sofasurferlinux at charter.net"

I have a couple hundred 8x10 (and a few 11x14) negatives. I want to scan then since I can not offord to send them out for printing. Whats a decent, CHEAP scanner that I can acquire.

Scanners that will scan 8x10 film are going to start in the $500 range new. The EPSON v700 would be an excellent choice. A used earlier model might be had for half of that.

A scanner for 11x14 film is going to cost alot, upwards onto the price of a car.

What do you want to do ultimately with those images?

Scanning them only puts them on your computer. If you want to enjoy them, you would still need to print them...

Are those color or B&W?

They are B&W. Hope to keep copies if I can ever find someone to buy them from me. Or, maybe I can find a market for prints.

EDIT: The reason for my desire to keep copies and why I think they are valuable is that they are from the 1930s-1950s

Last edited:
The Microtek i800 will scan up to 8x12 transparencies (but not 11x14) and is a
decent scanner (I have one). It also comes with holders for 4x5, 35mm and
medium formats.

The mfr stopped supporting their scanners in the USA so they are available
used for ridiculously low prices. Recently someone on eBay got no bids on one
that was listed at .99 cents + $35 s/h even though it was listed twice. At
$36 it would be a lot of scanner for that $.

Specs are here.

B&W? Good. Why don't you just do contact prints. All you need is a light bulb and a few trays. If those are good negs, you should get good prints easily enough.

May I ask what those negs are about? I am kind of curious as to why someone would buy negs from you.

They are mostly local images such as annual festival and parade 1937, business interiors, historic buildings, old cars Also a pic of Adolph Hitlers yacht, pics of preperation and launch of the first satellite (explorer 1) in 1958, etc.

I don't want to depress you but local interest photos don't interest very many people. I have a most beautiful series of glass negs, portraits of all the people in a small village in Brittany, France shot by the local priest and no one wants them :(

The Explorer 1 pics should interest someone but who really knows. Have you tried to talk to the Smithsonian?

You didn't depress me. Its just a matter of finding the market. For instance, I sold quite a few prints to local businesses. I am now researching magazines that buy photos. Pictures of people are probably the worst sellers, but if you have enough and they are identified you may make a couple bucks here and there from genealogy interests.
In this world where people pay hundreds of dollars for toast that looks like Elvis, its just a matter of finding the right sucker market.

I don't want to depress you but local interest photos don't interest very many people. I have a most beautiful series of glass negs, portraits of all the people in a small village in Brittany, France shot by the local priest and no one wants them :(

No, but I would love to see them if you happen to have had them digitized.

Mike E, the answer is no.

I have been talking with a writer friend who lives in Brittany about doing a book with those photos (history of a made up village type thing) but for the moment, it is only a project for when there will be more time. :(

Cloudwalker..
I'm glad to see that your opinion of old negatives has suddenly changed.

My opinion hasn't changed. I collect/save every old image that comes my way because I hate to see history go to the trash but from dealing with them, trying to place them with museums, collectors, etc I have learned a bit about what interests people.

You mentioned shots of cars and those can be of great interest. I have my family's entire collection of photos including those of my great grand father who was in the car (and other vehicles) business. Some of those photos have been published in two different books and a third about the work of my ggf is coming out before the end of the year.

I also had a collection of glass stereo slides of WW1 that finally went to a museum. It took a while because I wanted to do the same thing as you, keep a record of them. Problem was I wasn't getting around to doing it so I finally just shipped them there.

But photos of people just being people don't seem to interest anyone, thus the idea for the book. A way to put them in the public eye...

Actually, you should read some of my posts on the dangers of digital photography for the historical record... :lmao:

Most reactions

Back