Looking for some Medium Format advice

SonicME64

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new here and looking for some advice. :blushing:

For as long as I can remember I've been shooting 35mm film, and it's not that I'm finding it lacking, but I'm looking for something more (not digital, just want to make that clear). So I've been looking into medium format hardware (120 roll film) recently and wanted to see what you all think of what I've come up with thus far.

What I'm looking at right now is a Bronica ETRS with 75mm f/2.8 main lens, speedgrip, 120 back, and both prism and waistlevel finders. From what I've read, this seems like it would be a perfect unit to jump to, get the detail I'm lacking with 35mm, and still stay shooting film. I can get this for about $350 or so, would anyone recommend this setup? Or perhaps recommend something similar that shoots 120 and has a similar reputation as Bronica. Thanks very much in advance. :D

The Bronica with all those extras looks like a good deal to me. Being an SLR it's probably be easier to make the transition from 35mm to medium format than with a TLR. You get a 6cm by 4.5cm negative versus the 6x6 on TLRs - but this is not necessarily a bad thing. If you could get an ETRSi for the same price that would be slightly nicer - having mirror lockup - but if $350 can get you everything you listed in good condition then go for it.

That's what I was thinking, as I was looking into TLR's as well, but it seemed that it might have been a more difficult transition. The equipment is definitely used, it won't win a beauty pagent that much is for sure, but the glass is clean, and it works like a charm. :D

In that case there's nothing stopping you. :thumbup: Going from 35mm to medium format is definitely a different experience. At first carrying around a heavy camera, having only 12 shots per roll, and the hassle of getting used to loading a different film format onto reels for developing, all made me wonder if it was worth it. Then I looked at my first negatives and stopped wondering. I scanned them and spent quite a while just looking at the images saying "wow" before I even thought about printing them. My only regret is that I didn't discover medium format back when I had access to a proper darkroom and made my own enlargements. Basically I think you're going to like it. :)

I second all that has been said. It is even better to shoot 4x5 or even 2x3 cut film but 120 is like a quantum leap...

Cameras if you can afford it the bronica is a good camera... The 75 mm lens is pretty good for normal shooting its like your 50mm on the 35. Im not sure if there is a zoom available but I for one couldn't afford it if there was. The wide angel is good if you want to do like weddings. First longer lens usually about 160 or so is good for a single person portrait.

As you can see I never owned a bronica but have never heard bad things about them. My first 120 slr was a kowa 6 and I had good results but I hear now they turned out to be real dogs.

Anyway good luck hope you have fun with it.

Please stop talking about 4x5 - I'm already spending too much time and money on photography without you leading me into the temptation of large format. :lmao: Seriously, at some point I would really like to follow your lead and make my own 4x5 camera, but at the moment I'm lacking a few things... you know, precision tools, diagrams... basic manual skills, any idea what I'm doing :lol:

mysteryscribe said:
My first 120 slr was a kowa 6 and I had good results but I hear now they turned out to be real dogs.
I like dogs :) as you said you got good results from them, which is surely what matters. In fact if the camera has a poor reputation, you can spend less time telling everyone what great shots it can take and more time actually taking great shots :lol:

mysteryscribe said:
Not only do I not have any of that, I don't even know anyone who does... Mine are just cobbled. One of the ones I am using now cost me a grand total of about 40 bucks.... It's a hang of hair and a piece of bone.

Hair and bone eh? :???: ok, maybe I am overestimating the requirements! So which is the lens made out of? :mrgreen:

The lens came from a kodak 3a cost me about 12 bucks plus 6 for shipping i think.. it is 170 mm and very sharp.. just doesn't have any flash connections.

The frame is a polaroid 250 with a 1x2 wood extension on the back to get it far enough back to allow for the spread to 4x5 the 'roid is 3x4 naturally.

then just build a back to hold the film holders and use a lot of liquid nail to keep it light tight wha la

I build with masonite or pressboard

Thanks you two, you've convinced me that the Bronica is the right choice... though I am looking for an ETRSi. ;)

And while I may be tempted by large format, I only have the means to take on one new format at a time... so in that respect, you have failed. :lol: :p

All in all, I've just wanted something different (as far as equipment, effect acheived, and detail), and I think that this will satiate my desire for more... at least for a little while. Thanks again! :D

i am looking into buying a yashica TLR at the moment, would like a rolleiflex but dont quite have the loot.

any specific yashica TLRs i should look into?
i am very new to this whole medium format deal.

My personal opinion is that if you are going to go to MF for the quality, get a larger MF format. A 6x4.5 using the 6cm as the long side. A 6x9 uses the 6cm as the short side and makes the most use of the film. You'll probably pay more for the camera, though, since they aren't as common. But the neg is twice as big! If not, a 6x7 would be great.

myopia said:
i am looking into buying a yashica TLR at the moment, would like a rolleiflex but dont quite have the loot.

any specific yashica TLRs i should look into?
i am very new to this whole medium format deal.

I have a Yashicamat 124G. It's my favorite camera. And that includes my dRebel XT

The 124G is definitely nice. Although what is considered to be one of the main advantages of the 124G (it's light meter) may or may not still work, and in fact may or may not be an important feature to you (for example I have one with a working meter but still prefer to use it with a handheld meter instead). Another thing that is good about the 124G is the Yashinon lens, which I understand is better than the Yashikor lens on some other Yashicas. Some have a Luxamar lens which may be the same as one of those two, but I can't remember which... Mitica knows about these things, maybe he can tell you :)

The downside of the 124G is that the price keeps getting inflated, because it's always recommended as a 'first' TLR. Some Rolleis can actually be found for less than a Yashicamat so don't completely rule them out. Anyway there are other Yashicas available, like the standard Yashicamat or the Yashica D. Another option is a Mamiya, maybe one of the C330 series. These are likely to cost as much as a Yashicamat or possibly even more, but they have at least one distinct advantage - the lenses are interchangeable. That means you can have wide-angle and portrait lenses in addition to the standard lens. The Mamiyas have quite a different design from other TLRs though, have exposed bellows, and to me at least they look bigger and heavier, which may or may not be important to you. Alternatively you could look at the older TLRs - I don't think the design of 6x6 TLRs changed all that much over the decades, so going for an older model is by no means a bad thing. I particularly like '50s TLRs; one I can definitely recommend here would be a Minolta Autocord. I got one and decided I couldn't justify keeping two TLRs so decided to sell it, but recently I took a few test rolls which completely changed my mind. The Rokkor lens is very good indeed. Rollei-style TLRs were made by a lot of other Japanese manufacturers too - Ricoh for example - and I expect most of them will do the job quite well. Whatever you go for, just make sure it's in fully working order before you buy.

thanks.

and how about the rolleicords? any good? definately cheap, which i like.

are the rolleiflex, rolleicord, yashica TLRs any different in size? this is an important detail for me. smaller=better (but usually more $).

basically, i dont want to spend more than $300 on a TLR.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back