Looking for upgrade advice...

Scout

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking at upgrading from my Canon Xti. I want to do pet portraits and family/baby portraits as a serious hobby. I am looking at getting a 5D mark II, 24-70mm f/2.8L, and 70-200mm f/4L. Is this overkill and should I go with the 50D/7D? I want a camera I will be happy with for the longest amount of time and I am not sure if the 50D or 7D will be enough.

Thanks in advance for the great advice as always!

What lenses do you have now?

a 5D mark II, 24-70mm f/2.8L, and 70-200mm f/4L.
This is pretty good gear, certainly something a lot of pros use. So is it overkill for a hobbyist? Maybe. But part of most hobbies is the fun of using great gear, isn't it?

The 50D/7D are also very good and would be a big step up from your XTi.

It may just be enough to just upgrade your lenses, if you are currently using cheap lenses with your XTi.

If you've got the money to spare - get the gear is what I have to say. Ain't no test or right you have to have to own highend gear save the abilty to own it.
I to would be interested in teh lenses you have to use at the moment and I will also say that if your going to upgrade go for the glass first. It will give you the biggest improvement allround and it is something that (if treated right) will last you a very long time - esp as your looking at toprange lenses

It is important to remember though that you are looking at a 5DM2 - and that means fullframe camera body, so a different field of view for your glass. The 5DM2 is a great (and very popular) portrait camera body but do give it a try - get a little feel for fullframe and how it affects what your lenses can see and capture - though of course one bonus with camera is that you still do have a lot of cropping capacity if you need it.

The lenses I have right now are the 2 kit lenses (EFS 18-55mm and EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6) that came with the camera and then a 50mm f/1.8 lens.

Maybe I will rent one for a week and see how I like it before I fully commit.

Well I can say the two lenses you list as your wants will most likley blow away your kit lenses in terms of image quality - the 50mm f1.8 will probably still hold its value, not just for having a fast open aperture, but because a simple lens like that is not too difficult to produce with a good optical quality - heck even its more expensive 50mm f1.4 brother has little to really gain in optical quality.

Most reactions

Back