looking into buying a f/2.8 lense for D80

shingfan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i'm looking into buying a f/2.8 lense for my D80....any suggestion? (other than the nikon f/2.8 which cost like 1.5k CAD >_<)

looking for 18-70 or 18-55 range....any recommendation? what is the price figure i'm looking at?

yes.......i also found those two....which one is better do you know...or about the same?

with f/2.8......would you expect sharper image compare to a kit lense at the same settings?

yes.......i also found those two....which one is better do you know...or about the same?
They are most likely very similar. I've read many glowing reviews for the Tamron, so that's why I went for that one. I believe that Sigma came out with a 2nd version of the 18-50 F2.8 in 2006...and it was harder to figure out which version the reviews were talking about...or which version would be avaliable to me.

with f/2.8......would you expect sharper image compare to a kit lense at the same settings?
Certainly. Lenses preform best when they are stopped down from the maximum. Usually the 'sweet spot' is about two stops from the max or around F8.

So if we compare two lenses...an F2.8 and an F3.5-5.6...at say F5.6, the F2.8 is stopped down while the slower lens is at it's maximum. A clear advantage for the F2.8 zoom.

Another factor is the overall quality of the lens. When they design a lens with an aperture of F3.5-5.6, they are trying to design a lens that is light and affordable, which means they may also be skimping in other areas. When they design a lens with a constant aperture of F2.8, they are aiming for a higher level of customer and the concentration is more on build and image quality. So overall, an F2.8 zoom is more likely to be of good quality. That's my opinion anyway.

sounds good enough to me.....now is to decide whether to go for tamron or sigma....tough decide.....also...how do i know for sigma...if it is the new 2006 version or the old?.....any distinguishable feature or marking

Most reactions

Back