Looking Out

errant_star

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jenkanderson.com
First time posting a picture here.

A shot of my son at the zoo last week

Some photoshop manipulation ... changed to black and white and upped the contrast on it a bit

All comments welcome ...

[edit] I think this helps...tried to fix the blown out sidewalk but keep the contrast I wanted ... better?

chainlinkcopy.jpg

Welcome to the PhotoForum, Jenn :).

Now your photo has too much contrast for my liking - too blown out bottom part of the picture. But that may as well have been the plan. (Only does it not work for me.)

A pity we get to see so little of your son, and of the context in which you took his picture, i.e. the zoo. You need to tell people for them to understand.

But who am I to judge, when all these may have been your intentions in the first place.

I sure like his shadow cast on the other side of that (overwhelming) fence and his gesture. That is very open and natural and very childlike.

I like the shot (and welcome on board).

Can you down the brightness a bit? That might fix the "blown" look on the bottom that LaFoto mentioned.

I totally agree with the bottom corner being blown out ... the sidewalk's detail was lost in the black and white conversion ... but I really wanted the image in b&w especially to bring his shadow on the other side of the fence ... just not experienced enough with photoshop to do it better ... :?

So far as the context of the shot ... we had just told him it was time to go and he was walking, very slowly, ahead of us almost leaning on the fence ... he looked so forlorn like he wished he was on the other side of the fence so he could stay ... so I had to take a shot.

I'll keep playing with it though, try and fix it

Thanks for the welcome and the comments

I really like that. The over exposure adds emotion to it, for me at least. :) It has a sort of grungy depressing feel. Probably exactly how your son was feeling. :mrgreen:
If you wanted to add to that, you could duplicate the layer, turn the top one to sepia then lower its opacity right down. To give it a gently "oldie" feel. :)

Most reactions

Back