Looking through the window

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by tr0gd0o0r, May 25, 2005.

1. tr0gd0o0r

tr0gd0o0r TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I went out the other day looking to show how parts of our city have decayed from a happening center of the city into building that are completely useless and ignored. I got these two shots with about hte same idea, but I can't decide which i like better. Which do you think? (If you don't mind, a critique of the photo you choose would be appreciated.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

ill take a stab..

i like the second one for the composition, so heres my critique:

1) i believe it is lacking contrast, i would bump this a little...
    2) Instead of decay or dilapidation, i see the union of man and nature. its kind of cool
    3) I would try and bring the window frame even more to the right lower side of the photo to increase the dramatic feel of the overgrowth.

good work!!!!

md

3. Chase

Chase I am now benign! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    This is an example of how a quick explanation of what you were going for can make all of the difference in the world!

I would agree with Matt in that I prefer the second photo. The first one doesn't give me much of a sense of decay, instead I find myself looking through the door/window and wondering what's on the other side. I guess it makes my mind wander a bit.

The second one I believe is a stronger image. I like the composition, the subject is more interesting, but again I don't get the strong feeling of decay. I would agree with the points Matt brought up.

4. Rod-UK

Rod-UK TPF Noob!

I don't see decay in the second one. Ignore inside the window and its full of life.

The first pic is incorrectly titled, Abandoned would be better

5. tr0gd0o0r

tr0gd0o0r TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    you're right, abandoned is probably the better word for what I was really going for