Looking to backpack abroad with the 30D, which lens to buy?

cgennoe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there!

I actually had posted a thread recently on which lense to buy as I plan to backpack abroad coming up very soon.

I own the Canon 30D with the 17-85 IS kit. My hope is to supplement this lens with a longer zoom.
I received some great feedback from photographers suggesting the
70-300 DO, 70-200 IS L 2.8 and even the 100-400 L.

What I found inteesting is that many had suggested the a 50 prime. Why is that? What would be the advantage of owing a 50 prime. Is it increased picture quality, or greater creative presence from that larger aperature? Thanks a million! it is appreciated!

50mm f1.8. Fast aperture. Good low-light performer.. Small and compact.. Good Image Quality.. inexpensive to the point that there is no reason not to have one. More cash will get you the 50mm f1.4 which has increased build quality and smoother bokeh.

The 50mm focal length is an easy "normal" focal length to learn. Teachers generally recommend the 50mm or 35mm focal length as the first to learn. The viewing field is similar to that of normal sight which makes it a very versatile focal length. Keep note of how the crop factor of the 30D plays into the focal length...

As to backpacking.... it is extremely important to pack comfortably. The most crucial thing about backpacking is comfort and knowing the limits of how much weight you can pack. Once you figure out how much weight you can spare for a lens, you should look up your options and rule out the ones that are deemed too heavy. Believe me.. this is the biggest mistake campers and backpackers make... over packing...

Believe me.. this is the biggest mistake campers and backpackers make... over packing...

I'd say the biggest mistake is not trying what they can do ... many first-timers don't realise that what you lift and carry for half an hour at home cannot simply be carried for 8 hours or more per day on rough terrain ;)

If there is no special need for it, don't carry a heavy white telezoom when backpacking. I carry a white prime lens when backpacking, but this is only because I am crazy (see the other thread ;))

a 50mm prime as mentioned is always a good idea. mine came in use quite often so far, and it weights close to nothing.

The 50 f/1.8 or 1.4 is a great lens for low-light situations and portraiture. At $80 Us for the f/1.8, really a no-brainer to get. The EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS is a great lens, but weighs 3.5 lbs!!! Beware of long treks with this lens. Otherwise, it is a superb lens in all aspects. The 70-300 DO has gotten good reviews, but $1K for a non-L lens seems a stretch. Lacks the ruggedness an L offers.

I'd say the biggest mistake is not trying what they can do ... many first-timers don't realise that what you lift and carry for half an hour at home can also be carried for 8 hours or more per day on rough terrain ;)

With all due respect Alex... not everyone can pack like you. I've yet to see one beginner backpacker not make this mistake at least once. The idea is to make the mistake on a short trip (and learn from it).. not a long one abroad.

The worst thing a backpacker can do.. especially a beginner... is over pack with weight. A beginner can always try but it is a sure quickest way to ruin th experience.

If you were to underpack... you can still enjoy and learn from experience. The next time, you pack even more.

If you were to overpack.. what are you suppose to do... drop a $1000+ lens on the ground and say you'll return for it later???

More seasoned photographers will know what to pack without trying to pack for every conceivable situation.

For me... I'd leave my DSLR system at home and pack a rangefinder. I can pack two bodies and four lenses in half the weight. Oh buy wait... I would have to focus manual.. what shall I ever do without AF?? (sarcastic)

Backpacking has always been a compromise between necessities, wants, and max weight you can carry.

well for me...I would probably leave some stuff at home just to shove in more lenses and stuff...lol.
But a 50mm 1.8 is a great idea. At like...80 grams or something....it's the lightest lens Canon has ever made...the optics are great, and the fast aperture will help in the woods when it starts getting a bit dimmer.

Also, it's easy to carry around with your camera on your shoulder and just whip out and snap a pic.

I'd probably bring my 70-200 4L....but that's probably jsut because that's my only long range option at the moment.
A standard zoom (external/moving zoom) would probably be better though, because it can telescope in and out...saving space when you don't need it. Plus they're usually lighter.

With all due respect Alex... not everyone can pack like you. I've yet to see one beginner backpacker not make this mistake at least once. The idea is to make the mistake on a short trip (and learn from it).. not a long one abroad.

The worst thing a backpacker can do.. especially a beginner... is over pack with weight. A beginner can always try but it is a sure quickest way to ruin th experience.

If you were to underpack... you can still enjoy and learn from experience. The next time, you pack even more.

If you were to overpack.. what are you suppose to do... drop a $1000+ lens on the ground and say you'll return for it later???

More seasoned photographers will know what to pack without trying to pack for every conceivable situation.

For me... I'd leave my DSLR system at home and pack a rangefinder. I can pack two bodies and four lenses in half the weight. Oh buy wait... I would have to focus manual.. what shall I ever do without AF?? (sarcastic)

Backpacking has always been a compromise between necessities, wants, and max weight you can carry.

Thanks!!! That was actually just too late over here when I was typing, so I forgot one negation!! Mistake fixed! :confused:

Ah... So much better Alex.. hehehe lol

Maybe I should quite posting late at night after several pints ;)

Maybe it does not affect my command of language, but it seems to affect my logic ... actually my intention was to say more or less the same as you pointed out :lol:

I would suggest the 50mm 1.8 because it is compact, light and a great lens for the money and I would also suggest the 70-200 4L. It has great image quality and it is much lighter than its big brother the 2.8 version. It'll save you about $500 USD too.

Most reactions

Back