Looking to buy a Film Camera..but..

Grr..okay so all Rebels are plastic.
That's the only thing I don't like about it, along with that I don't see all black for it [k2]. D;

Last edited:
That's the only thing I don't like about it, along with that I don't see all black for it [k2]. D;

I think it only is made in silver.

Yeah..or this dark grey color, which I think is o-k although Black is way better.

You talking about the mount or the body? I think some of them have metal mounts (just not the k2), but I'm not 100% sure... I wouldn't worry too much about the body being plastic - almost everything in that price range is going to have a plastic body.

Like I said, my class[es] will be in January, therefore I want to start practicing now. But I've set my mind to buy both the Rebel & FM.

If you want two bodies, I wouldn't buy both the rebel and the FM. They are made by different companies, and the lenses are incompatible. I would suggest Nikon N65 and an FM. The Nikon N65 is very similar to the rebel, its just made by nikon, and your lenses will be compatible with both.

Come on Erie... you can get a built like a russian tank Mamiya RB these days for $350, or an ETRS 645 for around the same money that willoutlast any digital camera on eh road today. Enlarger, $200 with a Nikor lens. Trays, $25, chems, $50, 11x14 paper, $100. IT'S THAT CHEAP?

Now consider digital.... you'll need a decent camera... say $800 with a cheapo zoom lens. Oh now that we've got a nice camera we'll need a faster computer with a ton of memory, yeah get it cheap at Best Buy, $500. Oh but wait that's not all, the printer is everything in digital... another $400. But if you order before midnight... ink, paper software but not that's the cheapo part of it all... Oh and BTW only the best, or your pics look like crap. So what are we up to now?

I got my digital with kit lens for $400. Anyone with a computer can use it, you don't need tons of memory. If you want prints, you can send them to snapfish for 9 cents a print. You're only going to spend $400 for a digital kit. You can use your computer without upgrades to edit your photos with gimp.

Compared to the $100 per month of processing for film, I would suggest digital.

So, that's about $500 for a digital, $200 for a film up front. After 8 months your price is $1000 if you go film. With digital, you get easy editing and free pictures. I've had absolutely no problems storing and editing my photos, and my computer is crap.

But wait, don't forget that scanner...

We all have different quality expectations, I suppose.

I process all my own film, including color, and scan and print as needed. I can typically have a 120 roll of images ( 10 6x7 negatives) processed and scanned within an hour. minmal post is usually needed, and I have 100mb 16 bit images ready to use. My experience in commercial work is the opposite, the capture takes less time, but then most people will have to screw with it for at least 10 mins per capture to have an image that is good enough to present to a client. So where are the time savings?

Most schools require you to shoot film, typically b&w to start. There is a big difference between film and digital, exposure wise among other things. Knowing the process intimately does make you a better photographer, in my opinion.

I'm not gonna buy the FM anymore.
Now, I want to choose between the K2 or the T2 [Canon Rebel]

I already know the biggest difference between the two is the lens mount, that the T2's is metal and the K2.

But I really don't know what this means, besides being what the lens is screwed onto.
Metal I heard, is more durable, but if I get the T2 does that mean I can only put metal lenses on it, or am I completely off the mark? I probably am. D; And will the lenses be more expensive for the T2 because of this, or are all the lenses that can go on the K2 can also go on the T2?

But if I buy the K2, it's plastic and everyone I've asked about it so far has said 'Boo' to plastic. Is it bad in durability or just that it cannot withstand any rough-handling?

Is it possible for someone to show me a picture of both types of mounts?
I'm sorry for being so lost. D;

I'm not gonna buy the FM anymore.
Now, I want to choose between the K2 or the T2 [Canon Rebel]

I already know the biggest difference between the two is the lens mount, that the T2's is metal and the K2.

But I really don't know what this means, besides being what the lens is screwed onto.
Metal I heard, is more durable, but if I get the T2 does that mean I can only put metal lenses on it, or am I completely off the mark? I probably am. D; And will the lenses be more expensive for the T2 because of this, or are all the lenses that can go on the K2 can also go on the T2?

But if I buy the K2, it's plastic and everyone I've asked about it so far has said 'Boo' to plastic. Is it bad in durability or just that it cannot withstand any rough-handling?

Is it possible for someone to show me a picture of both types of mounts?
I'm sorry for being so lost. D;

IMG_4904-resized.jpg

Not the Rebel T2, but the mount is the same. The plastic one will look exactly the same - except made from plastic.

All Canon EOS cameras use the same lenses. (With the exception of EF-S lenses, you can only use those on non-full frame digital bodies)

Metal is more durable than plastic (obviously...). Most lenses have a metal mount (my kit lens is plastic, not sure which other ones also are), if you have a metal lens rubbing against a plastic mount guess what's going to wear away first. It would probably take a very long time for the mount to wear to the point that it needed replaced, but I would rather not take the chance. I personally wouldn't buy the one with the plastic mount, but in reality you would probably upgrade bodies before it wore out.

You can still use any lens - metal or plastic mount.

(BTW... Does anybody know what that little red button on the bottom right of my 10s does? It is a button, you can push it in and all that. I haven't been able to figure out what it does though.)

Okay, but will the metal one end up being more expensive. Not the body, but lenses I would want to buy in the future?

They use the same lenses, it doesn't matter which body you get (as far as the lenses go).

So..for the plastic to wear, how long are you talking?
Years? Months? Weeks?
So would T2 be better?

I guess it depends on usage, but you're probably talking years. The plastic one is probably OK, I just don't like plastic...

If it was going to be my new camera, I'd get the T2. Is the mount the only difference? (Gonna go read up to see if anything else is different...)

Max shutter speeds
K2: 1/2000
T2: 1/4000

K2: 1.5 frames per second
T2: 3 frames per second

Flash Sync speeds
K2: 1/90
T2: 1/125

Doesn't look like the K2 has mirror lock-up either.

K2
T2

I would get the T2.

(BTW... Does anybody know what that little red button on the bottom right of my 10s does? It is a button, you can push it in and all that. I haven't been able to figure out what it does though.)

Isnt that the Depth of Field Preview button?

You set your cameras Aperture, then you push that button and the blades move into place as if it was going to take the picture so you can get an Idea of the DOF.

I use it alot for landscape type shots where im focusing on something in the foreground.

Most reactions

Back