Looking to Buy a Film SLR

urufan56

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ehphotography.wordpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey, I'm intrested in buying a newer film SLR than the one I have (Canon AE-1; Check Sig). I would like to buy a Canon but I guess a Nikon will do, but I really do prefer to have a Canon. It would be nice if it's a more recent camera and if it's got some nice features and has a few lens for it. Thanks! :D

It's a great camera, but it's just really old and the latch is broken and some other small things, and I'm afraid that if a bring it to a shop, that the cost to fix it would be more than to by another one.

The AE-1 Program is newer, but you ought to look into an A-1 or F1n. Those will go with your 50mm lens, and are all manual focus.

The AE-1 Program is newer, but you ought to look into an A-1 or F1n. Those will go with your 50mm lens, and are all manual focus.
Yeah, I do like my AE-1 and think a new AE-1 Program would be nice! How much would an AE-1 Program cost? BTW: I'm looking into the other cameras you just menctioned.

If you are willing to jump ship to nikon, the f100 can be had for less then $200 these days, and it's an amazing camera... the F5 is also a steal at around $350 for a near mint example.

Canon EF, Though slightly older in production, She is a solid camera with a great many features the AE-1 lacks. I have and have shot the AE-1 and the EF and greately prefer the EF.

The price tag on one of these however is actually considerable in comparison to the AE-1 and AE-1 program averaging fifty to a hundred or more greater than the price of a working AE-1, but it's worth it IMHO.

But the Canon EF mount isn't compatible...
Oh wait... :lol:

<sorry inside joke between Battou and I>

How about a A-1 (not the steak sauce)? Surprisingly, I've seen old Elan IIs (autofocus EF mount) go for cheaper than the older manual FD cameras.

But the Canon EF mount isn't compatible...
Oh wait... :lol:

<sorry inside joke between Battou and I>
:lmao::lmao:

How about a A-1 (not the steak sauce)? Surprisingly, I've seen old Elan IIs (autofocus EF mount) go for cheaper than the older manual FD cameras.

True, however with that you are looking at the expence of EF glass. Granted yes this glass is still useable when transfering to digital but when the budget is tight and looking to stay tight the compatability to digital SLRs is lower priority.

Wow! I looked at some websites and the Canon EF looks fantastic. I think I want one of them! Does anybody know where I can find some good deals? I've already looked at www.keh.com

I bought my first one at a local Antique shop for around a couple hundred, I reasently picked up one from E-bay for seventy something. Later on tonight I'll go surfing around E-bay and see if they have one on the block.

-------------

Last edited:
True, however with that you are looking at the expence of EF glass. Granted yes this glass is still useable when transfering to digital but when the budget is tight and looking to stay tight the compatability to digital SLRs is lower priority.

That is very true... the value of FD glass plummeted when Canon moved on to the EF mount. Just like the value of Pentax K-mounts rose when Pentax released their DSLRs (took them long enough).

I don't remember seeing that many Canon EF bodies for sale... but KEH has one:

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Prod...ID=&BC=CA&BCC=1&CC=2&CCC=1&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=&KW=

Battery light is in operative but KEH is good about taking returns.

WOW... remember when canon F1s were so freakin expensive? They have a couple for just under $200. Man.. I remember drooling over those.

btw.. if you go with a canon AE-1 or A-1, don't forget to make sure the plastic grip is with the body. They get lost easily and are freakin hard to track down. When you do find one for sale, the seller wants too much for it.

As mentioned the EF would be nice. The A-1 will get you Aperture and Shutter priority. The F-1 takes it further with a better build and professional features; changeable viewfinder for example. The last of the FD mount cameras was also one of Canon's best at the time; The Canon T90. It brings to the table modern features including a built in motor drive and more exposure modes.

Past the T90, you are getting into EF mount autofocus time period. As Battou said, lenses get more expensive BUT there are some deals to be found. For EF cameras, I like the A2E and the much cheaper (but still good) Elan II. The A2E is attractive because of features and build. The Elan IIe (my first EOS body) has my thumbs up because of its lightweight (my wife could handle it easily) and the easy to use dual dial layout. It also has an optional battery grip which makes for a comfortable ride with the nice "travelers" option to use easy to find AAs batteries if the camera battery runs low.

My ElanIIe
Equipment68.jpg

My A1 high speed motor
Equip_48_RT16.jpg

Last edited:
That is very true... the value of FD glass plummeted when Canon moved on to the EF mount. Just like the value of Pentax K-mounts rose when Pentax released their DSLRs (took them long enough).

I don't remember seeing that many Canon EF bodies for sale... but KEH has one:

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Prod...ID=&BC=CA&BCC=1&CC=2&CCC=1&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=&KW=

Battery light is in operative but KEH is good about taking returns.

WOW... remember when canon F1s were so freakin expensive? They have a couple for just under $200. Man.. I remember drooling over those.

That battery light is a possible sign of deeper issues, it's one of the only known faults of the camera. Internal wiring goes out. Completely negating all electronic function of the camera. It is a fixable issue and the camera can be used rather acceptably with out the electronics. The electronic components are the meter and long shutter releases of 2s,4s,8s,15s,30s all other functions of the camera (including shutter release delay timer) are mechanical and can be used with out a battery or power.

Or it could just be a dead LED....

Last time I saw an F-1 for sale it had an $800 price tag....and there where a few of them.

If you are after EOS film , I can set you up with a 620 or 650 and a few lens for cheep or trade. PM me if you are interested.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back