looking to buy first dslr

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by immski, Oct 24, 2005.

1. immski

immski TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Im just a beginner in the area of photography but find myself addicted to it. I really want to take ly love farther and become a decent photographer. I feel that to do this I need a better camera. I was thinking of a dslr, but had no idea about what to look for in a camera or anything. I really want to get into a camera with many many features as it would help with my understanding of what variables exist in photography. I currently own a Fujifilm Fine Pix S3000. I love it but now realize there is so much more. Ok so that being said, these are my Questions:

1. What should I look for in a dslr to get me going?
    2. What are some good cameras that i should look at first? ( w/ approx. prices if possible)

2. jstuedle

jstuedle No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would look at a few other threads on the topic recently posted here and at a site called dpreview. I would stay with Nikon and canon as they seem most able to support a systemwide approch to digital SLR's. I have shot Nikon for 35 years, and Nikon DSLR's for over 4 years. I am what I would call a Nikon snob, but you will find Canon users as adimitt for their brand. The other brands are either late to the party, or overpriced niche brands for the loyal collector/user.

3. photogoddess

photogoddess TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ahhhhh - don't be dissin Minolta and Olympus. They both make an awesome camera as well. ;) (And I'm primarily a Canon shooter) :playball: :wink:

Check out DP Review, play with a couple of different brands and then make your decision. That way you'll be happy with your investment. :mrgreen:

4. RickyN29

RickyN29 TPF Noob!

Canon Rebel XT. Affordable, excellent, awesome.

Canon has a great rebate going on till the end of the year, the more you buy, the more you save. I bought the rebel for 899 and am getting a $225 rebate on it.

5. Artemis

Artemis Just Punked Himself

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Why go DSLR? you can get a lot more for your money if you go film :)

6. kilifila66

kilifila66 TPF Noob!

I would say to adequetly get a full perspective of photography, get a nice film SLR and a solid DSLR.
    For the film side I recommend getting an old camera because it will be cheaper and will give you everything you need and nothing you don't. I use an old Pentax Spotmatic I got for 65 bucks (including 3 lenses, 5 filters, and the camera body in perfect condition!)
    On the DSLR side I cannot stress enough the D70. I got mine with a 1gb compact flash card and the 18-70mm lens for less than $1,000. Granted the D70 only has 6.1 megapixels versus the 8 megapixels on the Digital Rebel XT, but the key to the D70 is the lens. The 18-70mm lens is amazing, the glass is fantastic and the range is perfect. The filter ring on the end is a lock in place rather than a rotating one like the lens on the Rebel.

Hope that helps, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

7. Otohp

Otohp TPF Noob!

8. MohaimenK

MohaimenK TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    so what dslr did you buy?