tom.ganc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.atgancarzphotography.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there
I'm looking to buy new LCD and I wish to know what to look for. I have about £150 budget and I need something up to 22". Right now I have 17" cheap screen but I need something better.
Could you help me decide what to get in terms of overall performance?

Thanks alot

I've got one of the HP w2448hc monitors that I really like. I know there's a 22" version, but I'm not sure what they go for in the UK.

Dell monitors seem to be pretty popular.. thats what i use as my secondary monitor off of my macbook... colors are great.. but i dont know how much they are.

Everyone loves my ViewSonic 19". Very bright and crisp with beautiful colors...

I bought a 2ms Samsung 22" LCD a little while ago that seems okay color wise. And it's sharp when you dial in the correct resolution. It doesn't compare to a CRT, though, especially when viewing videos.

Early has a good point, when I swapped my old CRC for an LCD I was disappointed to find my videos looked like total crap - like watching regular tv on an HD tv... however, HD video looks amazing on them and high res pictures are awesome.

I got a nice 22" Samsung off of newegg for a great price, but to be honest, now that I'm getting into photography more, I wish I would have spent the extra $100 and gone with the 24" Samsung! Definitely stick to newegg though, you'll have a hard time beating their prices and their customer support is top notch! Great reviews there too, you'll be able to find a great monitor with a bit of reading.

Make sure you research any monitor before buying it. Since this is a photography forum, I assume you care about things like accurate colours, and even brightness across the entire screen, which is a problem with a lot of the cheap monitors. Also, how wide is the view angle. Some LCD monitors will change apparent brightness and also change colours as you move your head or tilt the screen.

Not sure where to shop if you're from the UK, but if quality is a concern, I highly recommend going with a Samsung LCD - they consistently get excellent reviews and perform extremely well. I absolutely love my 22", I was sure to get one with a fast refresh rate, which is good if you watch a lot of video or... in my case... like to play video games ;)
here is the one I got:

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG T220 Rose-Black 22" 2ms GTG Touch of Color series Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 20,000:1 - LCD Monitors

Last edited:
For the amount youre willing to spend, you wont be getting the best monitor available. I suggest saving up for one of these. They are worth every penny invested. Thats what you need to think of it as, an investment in your digital dark room.

LaCie - LCD Monitors

save your money and buy an apple cinema display.. those things have amazing color

Most reactions

New Topics

Back