Looking to buy some new gear, help me!

polkaisrad!

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Howdy everyone!

I've just got into photography and have only been taking pictures for only about 6 months. I bought an old haggard K-1000 Pentax from my yearbook teacher at the high school and I just wanna get something a little bit better. The f-stop settings are all busted and it won't even take any pictures on black and white film!

I've been very attracted to super wide angle lenses and I wanted to get something with a 28mm to 90 zoom. Also I was looking at the canon ae-1 bodies. Good choice? Also I i was looking to buy a flash as well.

Are there any good camera mail orders I could look at?

Remember now I AM a poor little high school graduate going to college next year and I wanted to spend 250-400 dollars on everything. Oh yes and I have been really turned on to working with long time exposure settings.:mrgreen:

The Canon AE-1 is a great body and can find 'em cheap on ebay. Since it's an older body you can find some nice lenses for it easily. Wide angle lenses are usually not that cheap. But for the older lense mount I'm not sure?

Welcome to the forum.

Canon AE-1 cameras are very abundant on the used market and can be found for a good price. They are however, old and you may need to have it serviced. The good part is that the lenses for the AE-1 are cheap (Canon FD lenses). The reason they are cheap is because they don't fit onto newer Canon Autofocus cameras. There are both pros & cons to buying into an old & outdated system.

Another option might be to get a newer camera like a Canon EOS rebel. Even brand new, they are not too expensive. You could probably get an EOS rebel kit with a 28-90 zoom (and a flash) for $300-$400 dollars. You might even be able to get another lens (the 50mm F1.8 is cheap and highly recommended). There are lots of used EOS cameras available as well.

Besides autofocus, the main benefit to getting a newer system is that you are buying into a modern system. So if you decide to get a newer or different body at a later time, you can still use the lenses. That includes a digital body.

One of the biggest mail order places is Adorama. If you use the link at the bottom of the page, you will be helping this site.

Sounds great that your considering starting out with an old film camera, it really shows dedication. Most new model film and digital cameras with all their "bells and whistles" tend to take away control from the photographer.

However I would go along with the idea of buying a new camera rather than scrounging around for secondhand equipment. Cameras like the Canon AE-1 will tend to break down if there isn't already something wrong with them. Also there are a few issues with buying secondhand lenses such as mould within the elements. What I'm trying to say is it really isn't advisable to buy secondhand unless you or a friend know a lot about what faults to look for in secondhand gear.

Changing the subject slightly, if you feel you could use a course in photography but your strapped for cash, why don't you apply for a School of Photography Scholarship? Judging by what you have mentioned (being young and penniless!!!) you might qualify. Check out all the details from this link: http://www.schoolofphotography.com/scholarship.html

Good luck with your photography.

I appreciate the help, regardless of what people of said i still feel confident a canon ae-1 is the way to go, i have used my moms digital camera, and some of my school's new slr models. I really enjoy being able to do what I want with my camera. Thanks for the advice everyone! Oh yea I need some details on a good flash! HOOK IT UP!

A flash for an AE-1 wouldn't be hard to find. They have just a standard hotshoe or you can use a sync cord and use it on a bracket.

If your looking ebay:
Metz is probably the best off brand
Vivitar has made decent flashes

I think going used is a great idea. Used equipment does need to be carefully looked at. Don't buy anything without a rock solid return agreement. The Canon AE-1 was probably the most popular 35mm SLR of it's time, so many you will run across have seen a lot of use. Try to find one being sold by the original owner, preferably someone who didn't use it that much. AE-1 are notorious for shutter "quack". I've rarely found one that doesn't have it. Actually, I did find one, but it's starting to develop the "quack" since I've been using it a bunch.

I would would be inclined to stick to prime lenses, though, for a Canon AE-1. The zooms they built in the 80s (which is what would be available for an AE-1) aren't going to be as good as the ones avaialable these days.

There are plenty of other 35mm SLRs from that time period that are similar tot he AE-1, and don't discount the K-1000 just because you had a banged up model. Personally I'd take one good K-1000 over 2 AE-1s anyday, but I'm a nut like that. ;) Also with a Pentax mount lens you could use modern Pentax mount zooms.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back