Looking to buy starter camera

josh98

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ive been interested in photography for years and i finally want to buy a dslr. I have very little experience with dslr cameras, only messing around with friends cameras. I was wondering would be a good camera to start with. I have about a 1000 max budget, but I dont mind spending extra for a better camera. I have been looking at the nikon d90 and the canon t2i. I evntually would like to get into filming so I was originally set on the t2i for the better video capabilities but Ive read that the d90 is a overall better camera. Are these cameras too advanced for a someone like me that has little experience or is it worth spending a little extra for the better camera and trying to figure it out?

canon rebel xs/xsi is a nice start. perfect starter body

Still very new to photography myself, was in your shoes not very long ago. I started with a Sony a200. Which isn't a bad camera either. I just recently acquired a Nikon D300 from a good friend of mine. Kinda like jumping from a Honda Civic to a Cadillac for me.

I can't really recommend a system or body as I havn't had much experience with different systems on the same level. (D90 vs a550 vs EOS 450D for example). But what I DO know is that whatever system you do go with, Cannon, Nikon, whatever, try to stick with it. Switching systems gets very expensive if you don't use the other system you have. A good lens on a cheap body won't use the full potential of that lens, but when you upgrade to a new body, that body will. Things like good lenses, filters, those things things move up very well. Someone once told me that lens technology really only significantly changes every 10 years or so, bodies change every year it seems. Dunno if its true, but I understand the point.

Also remember not to focus on equipment quite so much, because if your just starting you probably will at some point. As in, if I just had that lens, or filter, or software, I could really make a better photo. Get your basics down ever before you buy your next lens. Get a good tripod tho... And a UV filter to put on the front of that lens to protect it. :p

As far as being to advanced, the D90 I don't think really would be. But again, start with the basics, Fundamentals of Photography by Tom Ang I thought was very good book on the technical foundations of photography, but don't stop there either. The Creative Photographer by John Ingledew I thought was a great book on the artistic medium that is Photography. I'm sure there are others, and better ones. So pick up some literature like that too. The camera itself won't give you fantastic photos, thats up to you, so don't fall into that pitfall. and the market will try to do that. Also stay away from photo editing to start with, can't turn a bad photograph into a good one!

I don't think i'm wrong in any of that?

Most reactions

Back