Looking to buy, want opinions.

TheHunter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Howdy all, I have been into photography for a few years now, shooting mostly with my K100d and have been looking as of late to "Upgrade" to a new camera. To give you some background on what I shoot, it varies from Pics of my dogs in the backyard, to portrait shots up in hunt camp to long range wildlife. I also volunteer to take pics at some motor sports events. So its a pretty wide range that I am doing. So here it is, I have narrowed it down to three options, Canon 50D Nikon D90 Nikon D300 I know they all have their ups and downs, but what I am looking for here is your opinions on WHICH you think is better, and WHY you think its better. Thanks Guys and Gals.

If you want video, D90. if not D300. I think both Nikons are better than the canon because of low light performance and their easiness to use.

How ever since the new Canon 5d came out maybe consider getting a used 5D, they are very very good, and full frame is great for landscape

Don't you have any legacy glass? Otherwise go with the D90, it is as good as the D300 with better features.

Just out of curiosity, what is it about the Pentax line that you find to be lacking? I have been well pleased by my k10D. I can't think of a single thing I want to do but can't b/c of limitations w/ my equipment, plus they have some world class glass.

Oh, dont get me wrong, my pentax was great, but, it came to an unfortunate end. You see, we were out fishing, and went for a swim, turns out that camera's dont like salt water. The only reason I am not going back to pentax is that the availability of components is not as high as the Canon/Nikon. It seems for some reason stores dont carry as much of a selection, and when I want something, I want it now, dont want to have to order it and wait. But, Pentax was great, just want to try something new.

Well, if you still have glass I would bite the bullet and stick with pentax. If not, the Nikon D200 and D300 are awesome cameras from what I've heard. They would be my first choice.

For build quality.... hands down the D300.

Don't you have any legacy glass? Otherwise go with the D90, it is as good as the D300 with better features.

I'd take the build quality and legacy lens support of the d300 over the d90 any day. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the d90 can meter with non-cpu lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back