Looking to get a new camera

BrettG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello. To begin, I should say that I am in no way a photographer, so my knowledge of the subject is extremely limited. I do, however, find it very interesting, and it seems like something I might be able to get into, though around here, there's really nothing I feel like taking pictures of.

However, next month I'm going on a trip to the arctic circle, in Alaska, which promises to have beautiful scenery that I'd love to take a billion pictures of. I have a Sony digital camera right now (not sure of the model), but it's not as great of quality as I'd like to have for any pictures I take on this trip.

So, I'm in the market for a new camera. I've already got a digital and I would PREFER to stay digital (though I am open minded about it so if you'd like to convince me of otherwise, feel free to try!), and one that takes pictures of quality that looks great not only on a computer, but should I decide to print any of them out it wouldn't suffer in quality.

I know digital cameras tend to be more expensive than regular ones, so as they go I think I'd be willing to spend around $300-$500 on one. With a regular, as they're typically cheaper I'd prefer to spend less. If you recommend a regular camera though, it'd have to be one that figures out all of the settings for you automatically. I don't think I could learn all I need to know about the different settings and exposures and all that in a month that I'd need to have these pictures turn out good.

Any advice, opinions and recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: I should also add, sticking with Sony for digital cameras would be nice since I've already got some memory sticks compatable with Sony cameras, but again, I'm open minded and willing to take other suggestions.

Sounds like you should go with a pro-sumer camera. They are pretty good for photo newbies who want to try and experiment (like me) because they have fully auto point and shoot modes and fully manual settings to let you play around with different apertures and shutter speeds.

I don't know much about Sony cameras, I'm using an Olympus C750 and I'm very happy with it. If you're not dead set on staying Sony I'd recommend taking a look at the Olympus C765 or C770. They've got that 10X zoom lens too which is great. They should both be in your price range.

Thanks. I'm not set on staying with Sony, I have no bias towards them, it'd just be convenient in not having to buy more memory sticks again :)

I'll look up those cameras now. Thanks for the advice, and any more is welcome!

SLR_GUY said:
Konica Minolta Z2

yep!
pretty easy to use, great 10x optical zoom, well-designed manual functions (so you can take better photos as you learn more). generally takes great photos in automatic mode.
the main drawback of it for me has been its wierd shape/size. kind of hard to find a bag or pocket that it fits in well, but the shape kind of makes holding it easier.
great camera! but if your range goes up to $500, maybe you'd want to look for something with more megapixels, though i don't know how to point you in the direction of a higher-end camera with such a good overall quality

Well I don't HAVE to spend $500, heh, just that I'd be willing to spend up to that much for the level of quality I'm looking for in the pictures I'd take. If that'll do the job, that's a good price. I'll have to see if I can find a camera shop around here that'd let me test all these out.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Fuji S5000, 37-370mm zoom, manual and auto modes, the works. about 300 i believe. PM me with any specific questions.

Hmmm.... I haven't heard much good coming from the S500. You have it? All I've beens hearing is GRAIN GRAIN GRAIN! But I might be wrong.

i have a S5000, i dont use it much anymore (DSLR now) i like it, its a 3MP camera with a good zoom range. pictures are a bit noisey but not too bad, iv had some very nice 8x10's printed from it. its a good camera and id recomend it. also it can output a 6MP file but since its interpolated and not the actual CCD size the quality goes down, id only use it if i needed to do large prints that werent goign to be viewed up close.

How much memory stick capacity do you have now? If you want to get a 3-4 megapixel camera you may need a lot more capacity than you have now anyway so switching to another type memory might not be so big a deal. On a trip like that you need a laptop to dump pictures into so you can clear the cards. Even with a laptop you probably need a minimum of 2 256MB cards to keep up with the number of pictures you will probably be taking. If you don't have a laptop I would consider one of the digital storage units. Most can read cards directly and some have viewers and the ability to delete photos you don't want. I think they come in 10GB and up capacities. Think one brand is Mindstor.

I really like my Sony 717 but it's about $600 even now. I would consider one of the Olympus Ultra Zooms. The 10X optical will give you a lot more capability for wildlife you will probably see and I think the Prosumer Olympus cameras do color, especially in landscapes, very well.

The Olympus C-740 UZ and C765 UZ might be worth looking for. Don't forget to budget for memory capacity.

I love my S5000. There is some grain, but I haven't compared it to many other cameras. But I have some nice 8x10's hangin' on my wall. For 300 or so I think it's a deal.

I have a S7000 and I love it. Only noise problems I have is at ISO800 and even then I dont think its that bad. I have printed out 11x17 prints crystal clear.

Its for sale by the way. :D

I did a little bit of looking and found the S7000 for $380 after rebate. Compared to places like walmart and Radio Shack which had it for $600 after the same rebate :shock: good deal it looks like!

That price does appear to be legitimate, from a fairly high rated store. I talked to them and they said it's a new retail box camera in stock. I think these things are obsolete faster than computers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back