Looking to get a versatile lens for my d3000...help!

chris182

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking to get another lens for my nikon d3000. I have the kit lens(18-55 af/vr) and also the 55-200.(Dont get me wrong,both are great!) I find myself switching lenses alot while shooting. It seems I just have to get to close with the 18-55 and sometimes with the 55-200 I cant get far enough back so I am looking to get a very versatile lens but was unsure what to get. Thanks (preferably the best for the money)

Have a look at the Nikon AF-S 18-200mm DX VR Zoom-Nikkor f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED, i use this quite often day to day... been quite happy with it.

If you want a quality stay-on lens for a Nikon DX body, you can't beat the 18-85mm Nikon with VRII. It is super sharp and VRII really works. In my opinion I would much rather have the 16mm than the 18mm - it is noticeably wider and the wide end and image quality is excellent. I leave mine at 16mm most of the time.

sigma 24-105

Any 10x+ zoom lens (18-200, 18-250) is a jack-of-all-tades, master-of-none lens. Many people have them and love them.

If versatility and not having to change lenses is more important to you than image quality, definately get one of the 10x+ super zooms and be a happy camper.

Nikon's 18-200 has the worst barrel distortion of any Nikon lens made today. The distortion at 18 mm is complex and virtually unfixable in post processing. I have not used the Sigma super zoom so I can't comment on it specifically other than to say design compromises had to be made to get that much zoom range.

Any 10x+ zoom lens (18-200, 18-250) is a jack-of-all-tades, master-of-none lens. Many people have them and love them.

If versatility and not having to change lenses is more important to you than image quality, definately get one of the 10x+ super zooms and be a happy camper.

Nikon's 18-200 has the worst barrel distortion of any Nikon lens made today. The distortion at 18 mm is complex and virtually unfixable in post processing. I have not used the Sigma super zoom so I can't comment on it specifically other than to say design compromises had to be made to get that much zoom range.

I think Keith is right on - I don't like super zooms either. Chip

KmH-After hearing your opinion I see you have a good point with quality vs. big zooms...thanks.I think I am going to go ahead and get a super zoom as well as focus on other lenses for the quality I need. I appreciate all the input, it has really helped. Now time to start pricing.

Don't waste your money on one of those lenses they are rubbish learn how use what you have properly, i go out a lot with just a 50mmF1.4 and don't have any trouble

Yea but if it is a subject I just cant get close enough with a 50mm then im screwed. also,if i am doing portraits with just 50mm it can make some people extremely uncomfortable shooting right up in there face. Thanks for the input though

Most reactions

Back