Looking to get an SLR camera, any suggestions?

yeahmeknows

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey.

I'm looking to get an SLR camera, around this style:
Canon - EOS Digital Rebel XS 10.1-Megapixel Digital SLR Camera - Black - 2762B003

The budget is $400, I'm willing to push $450 if it's worth it.

I'm only looking to take photos as a hobbyist and not more than that, it's just for fun =]
The only thing I'm actually picky about is that the camera should be heavy on the hands and have a big LCD screen.

Thanks in advance!

If you're looking for something heavy on the hands, a Rebel might not be the best option for you; they tend to be lighter and more suited to smaller hands (part of the reason I bought my 450D as my first DSLR). I'd suggest going to a camera store and getting a feel for the cameras they have. Find something you're comfortable with, and where the controls won't be hard to reach and feel intuitive.

The Canon Rebel XS is a great entry level SLR.

I love mine. It didn't take me that long to get used to, and I am learning more and more every time that I use it.

The XS has a great sized LCD screen, at 2.5 inches I believe!

Now, when you say you want it heavy, you need to be more specific. Compared to a small, compact camera (P&S), it has a bit of weight, but on the DSLR side, it is a bit lighter compared to others.

I find it very comfortable in my hands, which I have some pretty long fingers living on! :p

Why do you want it to feel heavy?

I bought The Rebel Xsi, and with the kit 17-55 lens, it has a nice substanial feel, without being a burden. I have an old AE-1, and quite frankly, I like the new lighter camera better.

I can't compare the Xsi to other cameras, but I fell in love with how easily I can change the settings. I don't use Live View, but the screen is great for reading the settings.

Hey guys thanks for the comments.

First of all, I like the camera to feel heavy because it seems to give me more steadiness.

So yeah, I agree that I should go to the store and feel it with my own hands, but what specifications would you suggest me to look for in a camera?
Like, preferred brands, how much megapixels etc.

And the Canon XS camera I gave a link for above, is just for example of what style I'm looking for.

What about the Nikon d80? On a lucky day you could get at least the body only in new or mint condition for around a little over $400 on ebay from reputable seller. You could get a cheap lens and save up for a nicer lens later - very easy to come by used and in excellent condition as people try on lenses like hats until they've found just what best fits them. You could easily buy a mint d80 w/ lens for $500 from ebay...well not easily but with a little effort anyway. ;)

The LCD isn't as big as on a d90 or new Canon but it's still big and has the fit and weight you're looking for and is supposedly "known" to be a better camera than a Canon entry-level SLR.

What about the Nikon d80? On a lucky day you could get at least the body only in new or mint condition for around a little over $400 on ebay from reputable seller. You could get a cheap lens and save up for a nicer lens later - very easy to come by used and in excellent condition as people try on lenses like hats until they've found just what best fits them. You could easily buy a mint d80 w/ lens for $500 from ebay...well not easily but with a little effort anyway. ;)

The LCD isn't as big as on a d90 or new Canon but it's still big and has the fit and weight you're looking for and is supposedly "known" to be a better camera than a Canon entry-level SLR.

Hey thanks for the suggestion.
I looked into it, but it seems a little expensive (I would like to buy new only).

I found this camera though:
PowerShot SX10 IS Digital Camera

Would you guys say it's good enough?
How's the battery economy on those cameras anyway? I forgot to ask ^^

That isn't an SLR.

Do you want an SLR, or a Point and Shoot?

That camera isn't going to be as heavy as the XS either..

If you answer the questions in my first post, we might be able to suggest some more specific cameras.

(A good few first questions are what is your price range?
Do you want to buy new, or is used an option?
Do you need/want to buy a tripod, camera case, etc.?
What kind of photography will you be doing? (portraits, landscape, macro (close up), everything :p)

EDIT: my bad, that was another thread. but you can still answer them :)

That isn't an SLR.

Do you want an SLR, or a Point and Shoot?

That camera isn't going to be as heavy as the XS either..

If you answer the questions in my first post, we might be able to suggest some more specific cameras.

(A good few first questions are what is your price range?
Do you want to buy new, or is used an option?
Do you need/want to buy a tripod, camera case, etc.?
What kind of photography will you be doing? (portraits, landscape, macro (close up), everything :p)

EDIT: my bad, that was another thread. but you can still answer them :)

Haha I'm sorry, I didn't know it's not an SLR, I'm kinda new to this whole thing I don't really have an idea what I'm talking about :p

I will answer,
I want to buy a new one only.
I have a tripod and a case
I will be doing general photography, just for fun and as a hobby, can't tell exactly what will I be shooting, because I will be shooting just about everything I see haha.

Would you even think I need an SLR or I could just use a Canon Powershot like I showed?

Actually, it is a DSLR. All single-lens-reflex means is that there is a movable mirror and pentaprism system that allows the photographer to see exactly what will be exposed on the film or sensor, through the viewfinder.

I have to admit I'm just a little jealous of the focal length that thing is claiming. "5.0-100mm f/2.8-5.7 (35mm film equivalent: 28-560mm)" That little thing outclasses my 450D (unless I slapped on a longer lens than my longest right now, a 55-250mm), assuming that it can actually produce good quality images at max zoom. Then again, it can't shoot in RAW, so I wouldn't consider it...except for places I won't risk my 450D. But what the heck, the little guy has a hot shoe too.

For what you're doing, that little camera will probably give you a lot of bang for your buck. I knew going in that I wanted multiple lenses and plenty of options for lighting, and the ability to shoot in RAW. That's why I got the 450D. If you're okay with not being able to switch lenses, and won't be doing extensive post-processing (and are willing to let the camera handle white balance for you, or do it manually), then that camera will probably serve you well. Just know what you're getting and won't be able to do, namely use different lenses down the road.

Well, it's all personal preference.

If you think that in the future you may become interested in photography for some money on the side, or doing shoots for weddings, etc. then I think it would be worth your money to buy the DSLR.

It's something you will have for a very long time, and you will probably never regret buying!

It's completely up to you if you want a DSLR or a P&S. The DSLR is obviously the "better" of the two, but is it better for you !

If I were you, I would pickup the Rebel XS. You can probably find one used for ~400 with the 18-55 lens which isn't that bad for general use. Then, you could buy a zoom lense if you found the need, etc.

Canon 30D maybe? from what I have read they (30D's and 40D's) are built better than the newer ones, more solid feeling... I am looking at some 30D's right now that are about $500 or so used with a lens....

Then again, it can't shoot in RAW

There is aftermarket CHDK "firmware" you can load onto the Canon Powershots (most of them) that allow RAW, amongst many other features not made available by the manufacture. I use it on my Powershot. Awesome!

Most reactions

Back