Looking to get in to MF

yellowjeep

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
nickginther.imagekind.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Since I start getting heavily in to photography I have been jonesing for a MF camera. I have secured a well paying job for the summer and I have made the decision that I "must" have one before school starts next year. I have been doing all the reading so I do kind of know what I am looking for.
Right now I have a line on a Miamya RB-67, I am not sure if it is the Pro S or not. It would be $500 for the body, a back (not sure which), a WL finder, and a 90mm lens. This seems like a good deal but there have been a few on ebay recently for around 300-350, and a few for around 500 with a few lenses and multiple backs. I can get it from a local camera store though. I believe I could get them to toss in another lens for not much more.

I have also become drawn to the Fuji 6x9 rangefinders. Those go for quite a bit but I have seen a few good deals.

And just to throw more in to the mix. The same camera store has a Toyo (I think) 4x5 for $250 with ground glass but sans lens and film holders. But again they have them on hand and are very willing to deal.

What to do....

What kind of photography will you do with the camera? An RB is a pretty big camera. I do like them. I have two.

Are you looking at Calumet... or Helix?

-Pete

All types really, I find my self shotting alot of cityscapes and architecture but that is because there is a ton of that here. If I am going be shooting MF then it will be a (semi)planned outing. I have my SLRs and rangefinders for toting around and the little Olympus is great just to throw in a backpack.

Honestly I was surprised at how huge the RB really is, it makes the 645 look small. I don't mind carrying the weight. I am young and a pretty big guy.

As for where, the store is in Wichita (home). Moller's Photo. Very um, interesting store. I have been there 3 time and have spent about 5 hours in there. The older guys that work there are great to talk to.

So after a bit more reading and contemplating, I desided I really want the fuji GW690II. I can find them for 800 which may mean I can't get it quite as soon as I'd like too, but I'm going to keep looking for good deals and if nothing comes up I can wait

Is it dumb of me to be thinking about selling my 700si to help fund this?

So after a bit more reading and contemplating, I desided I really want the fuji GW690II. I can find them for 800 which may mean I can't get it quite as soon as I'd like too, but I'm going to keep looking for good deals and if nothing comes up I can wait

Is it dumb of me to be thinking about selling my 700si to help fund this?

I think the GW690II is a great choice has it produces big negatives and is much easier to carry than a Mamiya RB, which is huge. And apparenlty, its lens is very good (from reviews, no first hand experience). Personally, I am not too keen on the 2:3 ratio from the 6x9 and would prefer the squarer format of a 6x7. Have you considered a GW670 instead, which would give you the sane size negatives as the RB?
As for your 700si, depending on the lens(es) you would sell with it, I doubt that you would get much money for it.

I am little by little trying to scrounge enough to get into LF and in the meantime have experimented a bit. Tore apart a 6x6 folder to make a perspective control 35mm lens with the bellows/shutter assembly electric taped onto a junk Minolta MD lens base. THen took the 6x6 body and made a pinhole with cardboard and aforementioned electric tape that has a shutter by either lifting the lid or by sliding to shutter plates back and forth for quicker times, up to about a half second, possibly one fourth. Experiment and create photography. Have fun.

You can get a Pentax 67 these days for $300-$500.

You can hand hold it or tripod mount it. You can add all sorts of lenses and
viewing accessories later if you want.

The 6x7 format fits most standard paper sizes very well. With 6x9 you
usually end up cropping out the extra neg size anyway because it won't
fit standard paper sizes (8x10, 11x14, etc.).

Just my $0.02

I should admit that I have a thing for rangefinders. As far as printing goes I plan on scanning the negs and only printing what I really want. Printing isn't my main concern. That said, if the right deal came alont on a GW670 I would give it some very serious thought.

Yeah, I like RFs too. :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back